Parelli Natural Horsemanship?

I was thinking of taking up Natural Horsemanship, even though my schedule is pretty busy. Before I make the effort, does anyone think this would be a bad choice? I'm pretty interested in it, it seems fun for both horse and rider.

Has anyone had any experience with Parelli, or other Natural Horsemanship? Thanks!

Update:

--Thanks. I probably should've mentioned that we have a Parelli Level 3 trainer at the barn. I've been watching her and sort of get the gist of it, so I wouldn't be a total beginner. I was just wondering if I should really start getting into it, y'know?

About a professional doing it, you might be right for the basic beginning. But, I think it's better to learn with the horse and strengthen the bond, rather than have someone else teach your horse.

Thanks though, I'll take your answer into consideration.

Comments

• My opinion - bad idea! It's like a cult, they take your money, they sell you articles for extortionate amounts of cash claiming that life is over without them and then they teach you that all non-believers of their methods are cruel and inhumane and have no idea how to ride and train.

I think it's all just a big money making scam that leaves both horse and rider confused and it some cases, it lulls people into a false sense of security which can be very dangerous. It should also be noted that there are no top competition horses that have been trained that way - that says a lot to me. Keep your cash and find a good trainer to work with you and your horse.

• Don't do Parelli what ever you do. I have tried it once. I thought it sounded great for the horse and some of the stuff they do was awesome. But then I started learning about what actually goes on behind the scenes. Pat parelli is known for abusing his horses and uses force to make the horse do what he asked. Parelli is all a money making scheme and I would advice you to stay away from it because it messes with horses minds. Do you know how many horses end up at the meat works because of Parelli? My horse was a great horse but when I started doing Parelli she was getting hard to control and kept rearing because of some of the exercises. So I stopped Parelli and gave her some time off and came back for a new start. Now she is a great horse :) If you really want to do natural horsemanship try Clinton Anderson, he really knows how to get the horses respect and he does it naturally and without force.

• I practice Natural Horsemanship, and found it to work well. Though most all the NH professionals use the same method, I don't like Parelli's. I feel he badgers the horse. I met someone at my trainer's barn whose horse was there to "recover" from the state it was in due to Parelli's games. Some horses may do well with Parelli; and I do agree with the idea of NH training. All of them make their money on the products they sell which I don't believe are necessary. Parelli uses the "carrot" stick, Clinton Anderson uses the same type stick with a different name and Dennis Reis uses two sticks. A lead rope works just fine. This is my opinion and what has worked for me.

• Natural horsemanship is based on knowing how a horse thinks and behaves. If you study up on those two things, natural horsemanship will come naturally to you. You don't need to spend lots of money on the "Parelli" videos. You just need to do some research at the local library or book store.

Your choose, you do what you want. There are as many ways to train a horse as there are horse trainers. Do whats comfortable for you

• Stick with Natural Horsemenship, don't care too much about the name of it, some people find nice ways for the marketing of those methods, I train horses since nearly 30 years now and my methods work good for me as long as I go in to horses nature - nice, patient and kind but firm, natural horsemenship was actually practized by Dshingis Khan's riders already, Parelli isn't wrong,

but it always sounds to me like that when you watch the videos you're a horse trainer and what you see there works with ALL horses...

• Great idea! I have a horse and I love using Natural Horsemanship techniques with her. They really work, don't listen to the people who say otherwise- they probably haven't even tried it out for themselves. If you're interested in NH, I suggest Join-Up, developed by Monty Roberts, T-Touch, developed by Linda Tellington Jones, and Bach Flower Remedies, developed by Edward Bach. Parelli is super awesome, and asking this instructor may be a great way to start down that road. Best of luck for you and your horse!

• I have seen several horses and trainers using the Parelli methods. What I saw were neat tricks and in effect poorly trained horses in every aspect except the tricks I saw.

I suggest finding someone who knows how to combine the different techniques of other trainers to come up with a sound all around method. I have not seen that in the Parelli worked horses.

• It has ups and downs, He sells his stuff WAY WAY over priced for one. for the money you put into pats items and time it would be much easier(and cheaper.) to take your horse to a good trainer and leave him/her there and have a dead broke horse when he/she gets back. It lulls you into false security. If you read about stallions on his page there is a reason he gelds all of his colts(way too early at only a week old!) Stallions are the horses that will prove or bust a training program. If the method was truly good why is he so afraid of stallions that he gelds all colts within days of life? I am a owner of a stallion, geldings and mares.

I use a more 'natural horsemanship' way of training my stallion although I am more than firm enough with my horses to keep them in check and have not gotten so much as nipped by my stallion, compare to the horror stories on his site. Many people are like cultists with Pat's methods and just you see if I dont get bashed by the end of this.

If you have plenty of time, patiance, and very deep pockets go for it. If your like the rest of us with horses then I suggest that you find a non-Parelli trainer. Simply for the cost and lack of the 'know it all' attitude. My mother went to send one of her horses to a Parelli trainer and was basicly told everything she does is wrong. Parelli does the same basic things any other trainer does

'Storey's guide to training horses' is a good book for any begainer trainer and wont kill your pockets. It, like parelli teaches stuff that any horse owner will learn over time, without the long training sessions and breaking your wallet. It is the one I am currently useing and doing great.

• I've done Parelli for a few years now and it is extremely effective! I would recommend it to anyone!

PNH did wonders for me and my horse! The 7 games taught the both of us, and now we have an amazing bond. It is both effective and fun! I enjoy playing with my horse - and she enjoys playing with me! I'm busy too with sports and school, but as long as you find time a few times a week to work with your horse you'll do great! Just stick to it and don't give up, even if you have a bad day.

My horse runs up to me from the other end of the pasture (and before she'd see me and run away!), she follows me around like a puppy dog, protects me from other horses...she's amazing now that we've done Parelli. Before I couldn't get her to trot, she'd flip her tail and pin back her ears, and now we gallop! Parelli did wonders for me; the trust that your horse will have in you will be exciting! And it is expensive, but it is worth every penny! Just be patient and you will teach your horse what he or she needs to know in order to trust you - be your companion.

Hope I helped & good luck! =)

• Ok i'm not fond of Parelli, i think his methods are stupid, and his basically advertises his products that are over priced. I'm a personal fan of Clint Anderson but i'm not saying drop your things and run to Anderson for help. If you don't time, then training on your own won't get anything done but frustration. I have a busy schedule believe me with school, marching band, studies and a job. I'd suggest sending your horse to a trainer. You see this way they can get the training done and then they can show you how they did it.