how do you groom a hamster?

ive got a hamster book and it says to groom your hamster regualy but it doesnt say how got any ideas?

Update:

oh ok but it isnt long haired should i still use a tooth brush?

Comments

• hamsters are very good at grooming themselves, you will often see a hamster just sitting in its cage grooming, even in the hamster ball, they often stop and just groom, however sometimes they do need some help with grooming, especially long hairs

even though you don't have a long haired syrian, you can brush your hamster with a soft tooth brush, some people recommend barbie brushes, but i find that it had the potential to just yank out the hamster's hair, and with the tooth bush, it can softly smooth out your hamsters coat

NEVER give your hamster a bath with water, it will give them chills, and can even cause death from the chills, syrians are desert animals, and they don't bathe in water in a desert

you can, however, give them a different type of bath, you can give your hamster chinchilla SAND, not chinchilla dust because it can cause respiratory problems, your hamster will roll around in the sand to clean itself off, not all hamsters use the sand though, or sometimes they don't get what to do right away, anyway, about 10ish minutes of using the sand, take it out of the cage, because it will just become a toilet for your hamster, obviously if your hamster use the sand at all, then don't buy more sand lol

in all, you don't really need to groom your hamster, they are very capable of doing it themselves, but if you would like to smooth out your hammy's fur or give it sand baths, then by all means do so, and normally they love both, but for my hamsters, i don't do it regularly, and just when they need it, and they were all perfectly fine =]

• Hello,

If she is not a long-haired you're hamster will not need to be groomed. But if she was a long haired she would need to be groomed a couple of times a week with a soft bristle toothbrush or a hamster brush from a local pet shop which aren't as expensive as you would expect!

• usually hamsters are able to take care of themselves in regards to grooming but i have a rat that is a little smelly at times. to try and prevent the need to help groom by keeping the cage clean and feeding the hamster a good diet that will definately help. but i have the spray stuff "quick and clean" and I was happy with the out come but if you just want to brush out it's hair then you can use a comb as long as you are careful of it's skin.

• Hamsters groom themselves,u dont usually need to groom them as they keep themselves groomed.Theres nothing about grooming in the hamster care book my friend has.If its long haired a small soft brush(like a dolls brush/childs toy brush,soft bristled brush)might be a good idea but they should keep themselves groomed.

• Yes hamsters can't have any combs of brushes because that will stress them out and cause an early death, so yes I recommend you use a tooth brush to keep grooming your hamster no matter what.

• This only applies to the long haired type, in which case you use a baby brush. Hamsters love a sand bath, place a small bowl with some sand from the pet shop it's really cheap to buy, the hamsters love to roll around in it, it helps them stimulate healthy coats and gets rid of any flakey skin.

• I read out of a magazine that long-haired hamsters can be brushed with a dry toothbrush. If you have a short-haired hamster that smells when you pick it up then you should go to the vet for it to be cleaned.

• Hamster Helper is right.

I have recently helped my 6 year old get a Syrian hamster.

We used the following places to get information, as we had a book, but there hasn't been one book with everything we needed to know in it. We got help from these sources.

LIBRARY:both childrens and adults sections have books on hamsters.

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-care-for-hamst...

PET SHOP staff,were very helpful.

INTERNET, I will put up some useful sites for you:

http://www.twilightshadows.net/southernhamsterclub...

http://whatthepets.blogspot.com/2006/08/tips-for-t...

• You shouldnt need to as hamsters groom themselves. However if it is a long haired hamster use a clean dry toothbrush.

If it is not longhaired dont bother there is no point and you will just stress it out.

• If it is a long-haired hamster, then use a toothbrush (not one that has been used though!) if it not long-haired, then you don't need to groom it! However, if it's fur gets messy you can just smooth it down!