Signing a Navy SEAL/SO Contract: Do I need to be enlisted first?

So I'm aspiring to sign a Navy SEAL/SO contract. I'm going to be 26 this May 2013, and I feel I have a year to get really get in shape and just blow away the PST competitive requirements. Given I'm already in good shape, but can always improve.

My question is: Do I need to sign a seperate Navy contract FIRST before I can even be considered to take the SO PST and if I get accepted, then sign another contract? Or can I talk to a recruiter, train 10-12 months, then pass a PST and be offered a SO contract?

Are you basically in DEP (nothing signed) until you pass your SO PST then you sign? Or do you enlist in the regular Navy, then you get chances to obtain a SEAL/SO contract?

Comments

• Yes, you will need to get a "regular" Navy contract before you can obtain your SO Contract.

When you meet with a recruiter, you tell him of your goals to become a SEAL, but research other ratings you might like as well. You will sign your contract that designates you to any other rating at MEPS. Then you can take the PST and CSORT, and earn your SO Contract. If you do get your SO contract, then your original contract will be modified to meet SEAL requirements. (Basically it'll just increase your time from 4 to 6 years, and give your orders to Pre-BUD/s). If you then fail at any point during the SEAL pipeline, then you'll go to A-School for your original rating that you chose.

• "My question is: Do I need to sign a seperate Navy contract FIRST before I can even be considered to take the SO PST and if I get accepted, then sign another contract?"

Yes !!

Explained here;

"To become a SEAL, you must be in the Navy. There are three paths you can choose from to become a Navy SEAL:"

Path 1: Enlist as a civilian (Path #1 if you've never been in the military)

PATH 1: ENLIST AS A CIVILIAN BY VISITING YOUR LOCAL NAVY RECRUITER

Step 2: Get a Navy contract

If you are qualified, you will need to accept a contract into the Navy as any other job classification.

Generally, on the same day as your physical, you will sit down with a job counselor to find out if you are qualified to become a Navy SEAL. If you are qualified, you will need to accept a contract into the Navy as any other job classification.

The contract will have a boot camp date on it, which will likely change once you get a SEAL contract. Once you have signed your Navy contract, you will be in the Delayed Entry Program, and your Special Warfare/Special Operations mentor will put you on a physical training regimen designed to help you prepare for the Physical Screening Test. Until you have taken and passed a Physical Screening Test, you cannot receive a SEAL contract.

• you need to contract for any other rating first before they will process any request for a SO contract. if you meet the pre requisites, you will get a new contract for SO before you ship out.

you may only be in DEP 12 months