graphics card/video card?

i have a vista home basic computer and its performance rating is 1.0

cannot run windows Movie maker or screen saver and my computer is very slow.

do i need to buy a graphics cards or a video card or both

and how do i speed up my computer

Update:

its a medion PC

Vista Home Basic

intel celeron D

Comments

• As long as its a computer and not a laptop you can upgrade your graphics card

However now days there are certain limitations as to which card you can install, so if you could tell us what Make and Model your computer is we can advise you which card suits your computer best

:D

[UPDATE]

Hi again theres a few medions with a Intel Celeron D processor, do you know which number medion it is.. example Medion 6409

Basically we need to know which slot ( AGP, PCI or PCI-express ) the medion has so we can point you in the direction of a good graphics card

However you can look at graphics cards here

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Graphics...

You can try using CPUID, which once downloaded you simply click Mainboard tab and check what the Graphical Interface is (AGP/PCI express) then you can pick the proper graphics card for your computer

http://www.cpuid.com/

:D

PS Graphics card - Video card = same thing

• Without knowing more about your computer it's impossible to say what the best upgrade path would be.

A video card and graphics card are just different names for the same thing. Getting one will increase the performance of graphics on the PC but not overall performance.

If you computer is generally very slow, then it's very likely you need more RAM. Getting more RAM will probably provide a bigger boost than a graphics card but it's hard to say without knowing your current PC specs.

• Sense you dont have a special Nvidia or ATI chipset, either would do. However, your RAM is way to low, and sense you have a low-mid end processor you wont be able to get the best unless you want bottlenecks. Upgrade your RAM to at least 2gb, and then buy something like an ATI Radeon HD 5670, or an Nvidia geforce GT 440. These are low-mid cards but its good for a low-mid end system. These cards will play games fine but not on high/max settings (unless you have a small monitor then it depends on the res)

• You should downgrade to windows xp sp2. Windows vista eats a lot of your computer's memory and just waste it on making its user interface look good. WinXp is much better. And most importantly, upgrade your ram to as much as you can afford and up to how much your motherboard can support. You should post your pc's complete specs so we can help you more.

• Change your desktop theme to Windows Classic, that should reduce some overhead. Also, turn off the search facilities. It's always a good idea to uninstall any software you're not using. Which Antivirus product are you using?

• you probably just need to downgrade to Windows XP if your performance rating is that low, you will get much more out of an old computer with XP than you will with vista

• Yes. Upgrading your video card would help a lot.

• upgrade your processor to a Pentium D, upgrade the amount of RAM and also upgrade your graphic card.

• performance rating is 1.0

sounds impossible. my laptop is 5.0

Throw it in the bin.