96 buick regal rear shock problem?

my rear shock is leaking after hitting a bump now it leaks oil can i just replace the shock and what the process of putting the new shock back into the old strut mount.im low on money and handy but cant afford to buy it assembled it has no springs in the rear. or if i just buy the shock and do it myself is it gonna be a nightmare. please some1 who knows what there talking about tell me the prosses i work on my own cars be sides major engin work or tranny work thank you

Comments

• Replacing a strut is not like replacing a shock. A strut is a shock with a spring wrapped around it. To replace it you must first compress the spring then remove the shock. This is not a job for a weekend mechanic, you need a tool to compress the spring. You can rent the tool at auto-zone, but I say please don't try it if you do not connect the spring compressor correctly, and it slips, it can hurt you and if it hits you right it can kill you.So buy the shock and have the strut removes and have it dun

• so it has rear struts? you're gonna have to get a strut spring compressor. some auto parts stores will rent you one. just be careful and follow the directions

• if its have been given the the different way up leaf spring thats what i call them then examine out the back of the ask your self if there's a splash spring on the decrease mounting bolts then take it someplace the place they understand a thank you to do it them are a discomfort in the ***