What does a sales associate do?

im applying tj maxx as a sales associate. and also in the skills and qualification section, you check some that apply.like cashier, sales associate, stock room, and customer service. im not really comfortable as a cashier cuz i feel like im gonna mess up a lot and im kinda slow. so id rather be on the floor fixing things. but what exactly is the sales associate's job?

and another question. do they pick your schedule? as in like every week its gonna be different days and hours you work. cuz my sister works at a coffee shop and every single week is different. i dont know what to put in the section on when im free

Comments

• Yeah they will put you on register ONCE in a while, if you aren't strictly cashier. They would most likely have you work in processing (unpacking the contents of the truck) and working on the floor. You would hang up the clothes and run the racks out to the sales floor. Also get price checks for customers. Sometimes they may put you in the fitting room if needed, or behind the jewelry counter or layaway. They usually train people for every part of the store, and then put you where you fit the best for the majority of the time. :)

• At a smaller store like that, you might have to do pretty much everything.

If you get the job, and you're not great at being a cashier, they may try to keep you off that task if you're really good at something else. You would still have to cover it occasionally though. They simply don't have a lot of employees available. Practice makes perfect.

Just fill in whatever times you could possibly work. The more open your availability, the better your chances for a job. It doesn't mean that you would be working whenever the store is open.

• A sales associate at a place like TJMaxx is typically on the sales floor, either stocking the department, straightening the department, working the counters (where they have beauty of jewelry counters), working the fitting room, running clothes back and forth, working the cash register. I think eventually you would have to work one of the cash registers, especially when there are long lines and they need extra help. The registers now tell you how much change to give out, all you have to do is count it and make sure it matches. Most people use credit cards anyway. The hours can vary but you can tell them you're available on certain days and/or hours.

• As a sales assossiate you will be expected to:

Provide good customer service

Use the till

Cash up

Make sure till area is clear and tudy

Make sure stock out on floor is tidy

Make sure shelfs are well stocked

Pricing products

All the boring stuff really. Youll have a manager and that manager will tell you what to do, like they may say"tidy that shelf" etc..

As far as being afraid to use the till, trust me u dont need to be, i used to be like that but once u understand the till u will be fine. When it comes to money, double check the amount that the customer gives to you, then count again as u put the money in the till. When you give out change, the till will say how much and you count it. Double check it to make sure it is correct.

In terms of schedual, it depends on how many hours you can work. The likely hood is, is that it will change especially at Christmas they will make u do loads of overtime (only if u want). If u want the same time every week then it wont hurt to ask :)

• Well you'd be an associate. you'd answer questions about certain products where to get stuff etc.

and the store is going to be open for a while so you wouldn't work there 5 days a week 12 hours a day so most likely you'll get put on an early shift e.g 8-4 and then a late shift 2-10