buy a car from a private seller?

i went to buy a car from a pivate seller but the seller isn t the car owner ,he is his son and his father wasn t there, he ask me to pay him and thats it1 what should i do should i buy the car ,even if he is the son s owner?

Update:

he is moving out in 4 days he told me,

Update 3:

in fact i have decided not to buy the car , i drive keep my cash ,aand search elsewhere than taking the risque of losing it,cos ,he s moving out in 4 days the owner may not know .too strange!

Comments

• In the US, You must get the title to actually OWN the car. I assume that the UK has similar laws.

The title of the car MUST be signed by the OWNER of the car for the transfer to be legal.

I suggest that you arrange to meet at your lawyers office to complete the transaction. If the Kid does not show, then you KNOW it was not legit.

Cheap insurance against fraud.

• It sounds very fishy , how do you know that the real owner is selling the car ?. I would walk away especially as 6k is involved.At least get the car HPI checked to see that its not stolen , written off.or subject to a finance agreement. Check the Vin number on the car is the same as the log sheet (V5). If the seller cannot produce a logsheet for the car there is definitely something that isn,t right.Sounds like he wants to grab your cash and run.

• you can but get a receipt and the log book new keepers supplement, which his dad needs to sign.

make sure you fill out the V5 document in permanent pen and ask for it to send away yourself.

could be genuine, but make sure that you get the whole V5 document and post it immediately.. also take a witness.

best advice i can give.