How do I become a Cop?

I am a high school Junior...17 years old, and I really think I want to be a police officer. What should I do? Anything I could do to prepare for it? What should I take in college? How many other people go into a Law Enforement degree right after high school? Is it common?

Comments

• It depends on the state you want to become a police officer in:

The course that we offer at our Community College covers the skills and knowledge needed for entry-level employment as a law enforcement officer in our state. Topics are divided into general units of study: legal, patrol duties, law enforcement communications, investigation, practical application, and sheriff-specific information. Upon successful completion, the student should be able to demonstrate competence in the topics and areas required for the state comprehensive examination. It is a certificate-level course. (You also have to meet specific physical capabilities as well, so many of our students spent their prep time working as security guards and working on their physical strength).

Course Hours Per Week: 9; Lab hours per week: 30

Semester Hours Credit: 19

Prerequisite: Acceptance in the BLET program (all students in our state must be 20 years of age on the first day of class)

Make sure you check out the requirements for the state you live in...and Good luck!

• It's definitely possible to... NYC has advertisements all over the place asking for police officers. I remember after 9/11 when this was just common to hear "join the nypd!" commercials everywhere I went.

It involves taking an exam, going through training, then finally joining the workforce. It might be good to get some background in other occupations and explore other subjects in a liberal arts college though... If you do decide to do this, try taking some classes in the arts, the sciences, and explore subject matters that come of interest to you.

Best of luck!

• go to a police academy, they will train you to be a good cop. I am in the police academy to join the swat.

good luck.