DIY ideas for a door?

I need to make some sort of half door....we put up a temporary wall in our basement and I need to put up some sort of partial door so I can keep the cats out of the bedroom for when our baby comes.

I was thinking something like a saloon door, as tacky as that sounds...I'd love something floor to ceiling but without the cost of that. Does anybody have any ideas?

Comments

• You can buy an inexpensive wood framed screen door and install it on the baby's bedroom. That way you can hear and see him/her but the cats will stay out. I saw this idea years ago in a Parent's magazine and never forgot it. I remember that the screen was stenciled with flowers or something and it was really cute!

• If it's temporary and looks don't matter much, make a screen door from some 1x 4 and some chicken wire or hardware cloth. Hardware cloth looks better Cheap and quick to make. Construct it much the same way you'd make a gate for a yard. Can be as tall or as short as you like. If your cats can jump, taller is better. You could make a regular size door that way for about $20. I've used one of these off and on for years to confine cats when necessary. If you sand the wood a bit and stain it, it could look okay. Or buy a screen door and put hardware cloth on it instead of the mesh screening which won't stand up to cats if they claw at it.

• sounds like you need a dutch door, here is a picture http://img.hgtvpro.com/HPRO/2007/04/23/WeatherShie... any good trim carpenter can make a simple dutch door out of an ordinary style door for very little cost.

• I have never met a cat that would not go OVER any partial door. I have met a few cats that learned to operate a doorknob.

• a half door?

wouldn't the cats just jump over the top of it?