braces removal process?

My ortho. Said that my braces are coming off soon. Is it possible that my next appt. He will just take them off? Also, what's the process like? How long,etc. Do you need to make an appt or the next tightening he would do it?

Comments

• It probably won't be your next appointment, maybe the appointment after next, or maybe two more and then debanding, it all depends on your ortho. Mine told me "They'll be coming off soon!" for well over a year, so... =/

Getting them off is very strange. They sit you down, pop them off, slide off the bands, and file off the glue. Your mouth feels all squishy afterwards - it's not slimy like people say, but it's a different feeling than I've ever experienced. It only takes 30-60 minutes depending on who's doing it, the orthodontist himself, or if you're lucky like me, you'll get that one assistant that cuts open your gums every time you see her.

You would need to make an appointment after your next tightening. For me, my last three appointments went like this:

-I went to a tightening and they told me I would be getting my braces off very soon. When I went to the front desk, not only did the slip say that my next appointment would be a tightening, but it also said I would be doing retainer molds.

-I went in 6 weeks later, they shoved a tray full of goo down my throat and made me gag, then they sent it off and made my retainers and I had a normal tightening. I was scheduled to come back in two weeks.

-I went in, got my braces removed, xrays and photographs, they gave me my retainers and I went home. :)

• I would go with an 8, I have had braces 2 different times due to not wearing my retainer and let me tell you that it's not fun. The retainer I got was a hawley retainer, the process of the removal takes about an hour.

• I saw my daughter get her braces taken off. It took about an hour and a half. First the wires were removed and then the pads. That was over in about 15 minutes. Then the rest of the time was spent on scraping the glue material off of her teeth. She said it didn't hurt her but she didn't like the scraping part.

• It's about an hour long and the chances of him just removing them that day are very unlikely they will most likely have you set up an appointment. It is not painful at all. At first they break each bracket and then they just come off your teeth and they they scrape the glue off. It's not painful at all.