Geometry/Algebra problem?

The problem reads like this

"Suppose it rains about 2 inches per week during the winter and spring. How many gallons of water will that add to the tank each week?"

When we say 2 inches per week, do we me inches cubed or just plain inches? Is it as simple as doing conversions and figuring out how many inches are in a gallon? Help!! Obviousley math is not my strongest point.

Comments

• 2 inches per week is equivalent to saying that all of the water hitting one patch of ground, stacked on top of each other would be 2 inches high

if your tank has vertical sides, then 2 inches of water will be added to it

if your tank has sloping sides, then more or less than 2 inches will be added as the tank acts as a funnel (or a funnel the other way up)

the number of gallons of water added is the length x the width of the tank x 2 inches (depth of water) / 231 (as there are 231 cubic inches in a gallon)

• It depends entirely on the size and shape of the tank. If the tank is open at the top and its base is 10 feet by 20 feet then its area is 200 square feet.

If 2 inches of water fall in this tank then that would be 200*1/6 = 33.33 cubic feet. Since 1 cubic foot of water is 7.48 gallons, the tank would have added 7.48*33.33=249.33 gallons of water

• If you placed a yardstick in the tank, the level would be two inches higher the next week. You now need to calculate the difference in volume when one dimension is increased by two inches. Then convert that change (cubic inches) into gallons.

• let´s speak of mm of rainfall .These are just plain mm and refer to a prisma with a base of 1m^2 and height the mm.

So they come up to a volume in which 1mm= 1liter/m^2.So take the surface of your tank in square meter and multiply it by the mm of rainfall .That would give you the liters added each week to your tank

1 inch =25.4mm

i gallon =3.7852 liters

• the answer is amazingly elementary. you're suitable use the pythagorean theorem. the genuine will therefore be sq. root of (15^2-3^2) = sq. root of(225-9)=sq. root of(216) it truly is about equivalent to fourteen.5. verify the answer with a calculator. I only made an approx wager of sq. root of 216.