Do you prefer Subs or Dubs?

I myself prefer dubs. It's just easy for me, plus I can relax a bit while watching anime. I don't mind subs though, I just prefer dubs xD Now I know how people say a lot of dubs are 'unemotional', but there are lot of good dubs out there.

Now when discussing this, please be civil.... ;)

Update:

at Sphider:

I wanna learn Japanese one day, so I'm going to start watching some subs, xD

Comments

• Well, i perfer the dubs first. The reason is because I would like to hear how well the american voice actors would match with the japanese ones. I think the best voice acting in american so far comes from Yu Yu hakusho. (That is just my opinion!) Also, i can sit down and just watch it first without having to stare at the bottom of the screen and read it all and miss half of the action.

But after i have watched the anime in english, i would totally watch it in japanese! When i do, it gives me that feeling that i am living in japan. And not to mention, I think when the subs are on the screen it helps people to read alot faster. That is why sometimes i finish reading manga in like 30 minutes!

But all in all, I perfer both. I wouldn't mind reading the subs and i wouldn't mind watching it in english.

• I can't fully understand Japanese, so RAW is out. As for Subbed vs. Dubbed, I like subbed more, but I do like dubs. Honestly, people who think dubs completely suck, won't try them, or think subs are always superior, are very arrogant. I think most people think subs are way better is because it's much easier to tell good vs bad voicing acting in your own native language. You can't dispute that. With this, people over criticize the dubbed version and think the subbed version 100x better simply because they aren't as good at "hearing" good and bad voice acting in a different language. Ie. Did you know that Elfen Lied got heavily criticized in Japan for it's voice acting (the Japanese version). I’ve watched over 240 anime (probably around 97% subbed) and I've seen that show 3 times and I still don't really see how the voice acting is that bad. There are even shows that the Japanese creators say the English version is better. They recommend you watch Cowboy Bebop dubbed because it captured the characters better. And have you tried to watch DBZ subbed? Goku sounds like an old woman. I just re-watched Highschool of the Dead (first time subbed, second time dubbed) and the dubbed version was very good. I couldn't think of any characters that sounded bad. RahXephon also had a great dub. Here are two typical arguments :: "Dubs suck because they edit everything out" >> Only one company did that and it's bankrupt right now. All the other companies release their shows uncut and have all the swearing, blood, etc. that's in the original. In fact, there's more swearing in most dubs than there really is in the Japanese version. "Dub voices have no passion or heart. Subbed shows show way more emotion" >> No...they obviously haven't seen very many dubs or they just look up all the bad ones and only watch those. I could go on and on. The only legit criticism that is probably true is that the dubbed versions overuse some voices. I don't know names off the top of my head, but some of them are always the main characters and they sound awful similar to each other. Now, at the beginning I did say that I preferred subs. No, that wasn't a typo (after reading the above section you might have thought I was one key off when I typed "subbed"). Here is why I prefer subs :: >> Subs come out faster. I watch a lot of shows while they air in Japan or shortly after they finish airing >> Subs are much easier to find, and they're usually in better quality. >> There are actually some dubs that I don't like (can't stand the Code Geass dub even though it's my favorite anime). I think a lot of it (other than not being able to pick up other languages as well) that impacts why people like subs is the first point I made above, subs come out faster. Most of the time, people like the voice for a character they hear first more. That's not always the case, but I think it influences peoples decision a lot. They'll watch a few episodes of a show subbed, then try and watch the dub and hate it because they got used to the voices in the Japanese version. This works both ways. Anyway, that's my opinion. I prefer subs and watch them more, but I also like dubs. I think a lot of criticism dubs receive isn't really justified.

• Subs! c: I take Japanese, and it certainly helps a lot.

Typically, I like the voices better as well.

There are /many/ good dubs out there, but most of the time I go for the subs just because of the fact that those were the voices originally intended for the character.

Plus, I've just gotten to the point that I can watch an anime and recognize voices. It's wonderful haha~

• I like subs better. I've been watched subbed anime since I was 10, so I'm more used to subs than dubs by now. I just like how the Japanese voices sound better.

• Subs, because the English dubs I've seen do not seem to be on the par with the original.

• Subs

Mainly prefer the japanese voices even though i don't understand everything. They are also typically a better translation than dubs, which are often much more censored than the original.

• Personally, I prefer subs with Anime and all foreign films, but I really like the sound of the languages and I plainly think it just suits the characters better. (LOL but it did take me a while to get use to Son Goku's original high pitched voice since I grew up watching DB and DBZ in English and in Spanish)

• Subs no matter what.

Dubs are just plain bad. A lot of the company really mess up the translation and don't even come close to what is actually said in the Japanese verison to make it a lower tv rating. English actors have no emotions in most of what they are saying and just doesn't sound right whatsoever.

• I like subs.One thing I enjoy learning some Japanese and two, the dub never has the full detail.

:)

• Subs.

In the dub version they tend to miss out alot, they also miss out certain scenes.