Boxing as a dying sport?

I'm a boxing fan and even if i just started late in this section, i find this sport to be beautiful (i will not argue with the pacifists, they dislike violence and violent sports).

everyone from the MMA are telling that Boxing is dying or dead but i beg to disagree in so many points. though i also watched MMA but my heart is for boxing and the sweet science of it. boxing has a long line of history, a legit sport and still included in the olympics. we can talk all day about it and the endless controveries and the possibilities it's just amazing. i still think that this is an interesting sport.

(compared to Handball section, no offense to Handball lovers. it's just no one talks much in your section. this is a message of concern from a sport fan's point of view. peace)

http://answers.yahoo.com/dir/index;_ylt=A0WTcJaU57...

thoughts to ponder. thanks.

Comments

• The UFC is trying to carve out its market and it thinks boxing is its competition. The truth is, if Boxing really were dying, the UFC would not be screaming that tag-line. They might even be singing sympathetic eulogies in order not to alienate remaining fans of the sport who would eventually be UFC fans.

Boxing is big right now thanks to guys like Mayweather and Pacquiao. I heard somewhere that Pacquiao is the #1 searched athlete in Yahoo and the #2 searched celebrity behind Megan Fox. That does not sound like a dying sport.

• It's a very interesting sport. It's not at all about knockout power, although that can carry a fighter. Someone like Michael Nunn, who could land 5 jabs in 4 seconds and dance away could easily get past a power hitter, and did often. The speed + power guys like Roy Jr, Tyson, Ali, etc made boxing a pleasure to watch though.

Sure, it's still an Olympic sport, but I wouldn't call that a positive. The judging corruption in the last 50 yr is obvious, laughable, and offensive. Medals in Olympic boxing have meant nothing in our lifetimes.

Although I'd agree boxing as a pure sport can be fantastic at its best, it still pales today vs MMA. I don't know a single person who would rather see a boxing championship belt fight rather than see Emelianenko or St Pierre in the ring with even a scrub fighter.

• I would say its just a sport at a transition period. When I was young most title fights would be shown live on terrestrial tv so fighters were household names,now its all ppv which makes it harder for casual fans to follow.Also all the alphabet titles and boxers avoiding the fights the fans want to seek out bigger paydays in dull encounters doesnt help.There is so much divided opinion over who is best in this division etc.It must be the only sport that casues such division of opinions.I think things like the super 6 coming up are a good sign that things are changing for the better and it will certainly never die.

• I totally agree with you. I LOVE watching boxing but unfortunatly alot of people arent interested in the Sweet Science and never were. People want blood...Kos and you dont get that as much with lower wieghts. I personally would rather watch Mayweather dance his way to victory than watch a 30 seconds Tyson Ko. But the answer is it is not dying it will never die. It goes through spurts but it will be back...Its already on the rise compared to the "pre-mayweather era" Oooooo and BTW Mma is very entertaining but like I said Id rather pay $50 for a 45 minute fight than 50 dollars for a 5 minute fight...Just my opinion. MMA will die out

• boxing has been called a dying sport for a long time. but as long as there are gyms with punching bags, boxing will be around to stay. as a sport of fighting it covers the most rudimentary forms of offense and defense. boxing fundamentally divides the human body to basic functions of mobility (below the waist) and attacking contact (above the waist) with the fighting stance maintained while standing. in this way, one can appreciate moves of offense and defense with full visibility. boxing demonstrates stylistic clashes that allows various techniques in punching delivery, evasion, and counter attack. conventional boxing logic revolves around the essential clash of styles. For instance, in its purest forms, a boxer evades contact, a puncher attacks with strength, a swarmer attacks with volume. The boxer defeats the puncher who cannot catch up. The puncher defeats the swarmer who can be hit. The swarmer defeats the boxer whose rhythm is disrupted. But actual boxers accumulate an arsenal of techniques that enriches his/her basic fighting style. Thus, watching a boxing match is a thing of beauty, especially because its visual exhibition is unpretentious but the outcome is unpredictable within a proper match up of styles. and the audience can participate by analyzing the style match up and predict a most likely outcome enabling a very lively exchange of conflicting theories that create what we would call the hype that feeds the anticipation of the final count or the final ring of the bell.