Who beats a prime Roberto Duran ?

In the Lightweight and/or Welterweight divisions. Past or present.

Comments

• My friend this is an excellent question indeed. I've always said that Roberto Duran is the greatest Lightweight Champion in boxing history and was almost unbeatable suffering only one loss to Esteban DeJesus and later avenging that loss twice. As a welterwweight and at his best, he did defeat an undefeated Sugar Ray Leonard. His 2nd No Mas fight with Leonard, he was obviously not in to it mentally or physically and besides that, Leonard is a great fighter too anyway and you have to give some credit where it's due. Now I'm going to break down the fighters that may have given Duran some real tough opposition:

Lightweight

Joe Gans;

The Old Master was one of the first true scientific fighters and an all time great. He was an expert at avoiding punches and truly studied his opponents weaknesses. Career mark of 120-8-9 with 85 kayo's, he obviously had power and stamina too. Duran may have beaten him perhaps by a razor thin decision because of his tenacity and aggressiveness, but this was truly the one guy that very well may have been able to beat Duran.

Benny Leonard;

Another boxing master with superb skill as well as potent punching power. He was well known for his ring intelligence and poise and could have presented Duran all kinds of trouble. Career mark of 85-5-1 with 69 kayo's. I believe Duran either stops him late or captures a close decision but it certainly wouldn't have been a walk in the park.

Pernell Whitaker:

Whitaker had the perfect style to just about make anybody look bad as he was a defensive genius, a fighter that could stand in front of you and still make you miss. Everybody knows how foolish he made the great JC Chavez look. Duran would have had his work cut out for him but perhaps his determination wills him to a difficult victory in a tough fight.

Welterweight

Sugar Ray Robinson:

This is the one guy that I think has the skill and speed to beat Duran even at his best especially at welterweight where he had some kind of crazy record of 128-1-1 or in that neighborhood. Robinson had great power and speed and would have not been afraid to stand toe to toe with Duran. It would have been an exciting fight, but Robinson takes it.

Sugar Ray Leonard:

We already know the results of their fights and at his best, Duran wins but it really could go either way, so this could be a close decision victory for either man with each at his best.

Jose Napoles:

The man was smooth as butter a complete fighter with great boxing skills and good power. Still I think Duran was great enough to beat Jose either by late rounds kayo or close decision.

Thomas Hearns:

Because of his height, reach, and leverage, Hearns would always present anyone in this divison problems including Duran. He knocked Duran out at 154 lbs as the only man ever to do this but I don't believe Duran was at his best and could have fought a beter fight though I still think Hearns wins.

Henry Armstrong:

This would have been a dream fight! And it would have been a good fight at either lightweight or welterweight. Armstrong was a punching machine and tough as nails and would have stood toe to toe with Duran like a miniture Joe Frazier. I really think if these two could have fought, it would have been the fight of the century! Armstrong had a carer mark of 152-21-10 with 103 kayo's and is widely considered as one of the best p4p fighters in history. At lightweight, Duran wins and at welterwweight it could go either way. I say they would split in a two fight series.

Aaron Pryor

This would have been the best 140 lb fight ever! Pryor like Armstrong was a non stop punching machine with amazing energy and stamina. He was also very determined and tough. Duran has the better overall skill in my opinion and would have found a way to beat Pryor.though it would have been a war! I think Duran takes this by technical knockout in 12 rounds in the fight of the year.

• No lightweight would have beat Duran, but Aaron Pryor would have made it interesting. At Welterweight nobody hit as hard as Thomas Hearns, and although Duran and Hearns met at 160, 13 lbs heavier than welterweight, the result would have most likely been the same, Hearns by KO. A few other welterweights might have given Duran trouble, Ray Leonard certainly did, so you have to figure a guy like Pernell Whitaker would have been even money against Duran at 147. It would take an ultra elite welter weight of Meldrick Taylor's prime caliber to give Duran trouble, a quick mover, no one other than Hearns would have been able to out slug Duran from 147 and below.

• Obviously the prime Roberto Duran was the best during his lightweight years. Esteban De Jesus did upsetted the odds and not only beat Duran but also knocked him down that caused panic throughout the entire boxing world. But upsets do happen in real life. I believe that not many boxers in prime Roberto Duran can beat him. The closes one in my opinion is probably Joe Gans. Styles makes fights, and I think Gans accuracy, timing, and movements may give him a close Split Decision vs. Duran.

I also think guys like Benny Leonard with his excellent pull away combinations can bother Duran's frontal assaults. Pernell Whitaker is another slickster who knows how to counter punch a brawler liek Duran. Carlos Ortiz and Henry Armstrong as lightweights can also upset the odds. An a lot of people may disagree with me, I think Antonio Cervantes, despite being a junior welterweight, I believe can move to lightweight, where he has fought as well, and can pull an upset of Duran.

None of these guys can beat Duran convincingly but I do believe they have a chance to win by a close decision or split decision. Esteban De Jesus in my opinion was the only fighter the defeated Duran convincingly in Duran's prime and best fighting weight.

• Lightweight (all these fighters have a better than average chance of beating a prime Duran):

Benny Leonard

Pernell Whitaker

Ike Williams

Welterweight:

Sugar Ray Leonard

Sugar Ray Robinson

Thomas Hearns

Jose Napoles

Barney Ross

The fighters have a shot of beating Duran:

Tony Canzoneri

Manny Pacquiao

Floyd Mayweather

Joe Gans

However, none (except the Welterweight I mentioned) could DEFINITELY beat Duran.

• At lightweight and on his best day I think no one past or present could beat Duran. At welterweight Sugar Ray Robinson could beat him and a few of history's other great welterweights could, but welterweight wasn't his prime division, at 135 lbs he was unstoppable.

• some human beings tend to misconceive that Duran grow to be no longer basically a brawler. there have been situations while Duran did no longer use protection, through fact he did no longer decide on it. None of his fighters ought to harm or subject him. while he chosen to coach, he grow to be close to unbeatable. At easy-weight, no brawler would beat Duran. in case you're conversing approximately boxers, there are some who ought to subject him. basically Pernell Whitaker ought to win on factors, yet that would not answer the question as you asked it. i do no longer think of Henry Armstrong would beat Duran at one hundred thirty five. Armstrong grow to be greater suited at welterweight and he took a methods too plenty punishment in all his fights, it is why he did no longer final very long, even together with his extensive checklist. Armstrong grow to be shot till now he grow to be 30. His aggressive form would play suitable into Duran's palms. the version would be that he'd hit Duran with greater photographs yet Duran takes greater suited punishment. Armstrong has a tendency to swell, the place Duran is going especially much unmarked. he's be forward on factors while Duran stops him in 14. with regard to the DeJesus combat, Duran grow to be 21 and scuffling with the flu. the story grow to be a methods diverse while he confronted a mature Duran, in seventy 4 and seventy 8, while Duran overwhelmed him the two situations. There would be some hard and exciting fights for Duran at one hundred thirty five yet, usual, no one beats Duran at his game. no one.

• I'm glad to see that some are beginning to realize that, despite his short stay there, Duran was also an all-time great Welterweight, as well as Lightweight.

That said, I believe that there is only ONE man, in any division, who stands head-n-shoulders over his given division. That means that, in a series of three fights, against the TOP 10 in his division, he just might go undefeated. That man is Sugar Ray Robinson in the welterweight division.

In a series of Three, at lightweight, I think Duran ranks Number One because he suffers fewer losses than anyone else. The only man who challenges his reign is Pernell Whitaker. I think Duran takes 2/3 over Whitaker, all close, distance fights. However, there is also a very good chance that Whitaker could win such a series.

THere are other lightweights who would come very close to challenging Duran. In fact, Duran, himself, might be the only reason for any losses on the records of others. When I was a kid, I often heard, and argued with old-timers, who declared that I didn't know $#!T about boxing, whenever I stated that Duran would beat Benny Leonard. Duran was still champion, so I can understand the argument of some. If I told some that Wladimir Klitschko could probably beat some of the TOP 12 heavyweights, some would also tell me I don't know $#!t about boxing. That's ok, because, as time passes, those who DO know, will see for themselves.

Of the lightweights who would challenge Duran, there are not many. Joe Gans, Benny Leonard, Ike Williams, Pernell Whitaker, Manny Pacquiao, Henry Armstrong, Julio Cesar Chavez. ..... Of this group, naturally, Whitaker would be Duran's toughest challenge.

Joe Gans would provide a stern challenge but he was stopped a few times during his prime, leading me to believe that, while Duran wouldn't stop him, Roberto stands a shade above Gans. Duran wouldn't hurt Chavez but he would revert to boxing and take a points win. I have always maintained that Benny Leonard would trouble Duran but he would be under great pressure and lose on points.

Manny Pacquiao was at his best at 135. His speed and power troubles Duran. However, his troubles, against Marquez, tell me that Duran would prevail. He could possibly take 1/3 over Duran. Armstrong is a legend in ALL divisions he ever fought in. However, I think his aggressive style plays right into Duran's hands. He drops a 2/3 to Duran, possibly being stopped once.

I don't think any other lightweights would beat Duran. This includes greats like Alexis Arguello, Mosley and even Mayweather, who I don't think was at his best at 135, but at 140. That shoulder roll wouldn't work against Duran. Floyd would survive but lose on points.

No one else beats Duran at 135 and he clearly makes my TOP 12 at 147. He's one of the few who can be assessed with one performance, against Ray Leonard, June 20, 1980. It's clear that Duran's lifestyle, not any lack of ability, talent or performance, shortened his stay at 147. By the time he got it together, he was already above 147.

Duran clearly loses at 147 against Robinson, who would sweep a series of three. He could drop the 2/3 series against Armstrong and also drops 2/3 against Leonard, whom I rank 3rd at welterweight. I dare say that he might have a chance to take 1/3, against Hearns, 4th at 147. It's a stretch but Duran was clearly past his best when Hearns flattened him at 154, where Tommy was that class' greatest.

Duran could beat guys like Napoles and even Griffith in close fights. He stops Napoles in 1 of three wins at 147. He also has the skill to nullify Basilio's toughness. Duran is durable enough to take the best of any welterweight and no one stops him there. He would lose some on points.

Duran shades it, over Whitaker, for supremacy at 135.

• Shane Mosely At lightweight would have been even money With Duran.

• possibly prince naseem, sugar ray robertson and leonard and thats my picks.

• julio cesar chaves, floyd mayweather, manny pacquiao,