Dizziness after a cruise?

So I just got back from a Carnival cruise from New York to Canada and I've gotten kind of dizzy at random times. The first time was when we made our stop in Halifax and when I got onto land I thought the ground was moving, but nobody else seemed to notice it. Then by the time I got back on the boat that day a few hours later and laid down for a bit, the feeling went away. Now I'm home, two days after that, and I think my house is rocking. Is this really common? I figure I just haven't gotten my "land legs" back yet, but it's not a pleasant feeling. Has this ever happened to anyone before? Is there anything to do to calm it?

Comments

• It has happened to me too. It feels funny walking up and down stairs, like they are moving but it goes away in a day.

• oh i know this answer! okay so me and my best friend and parents were on a cruise in april round the med, my mum came back with the same things that you guys have! she got it checked out and found out the dizzyness was due to a disease called vertigo (not sure if i spelt it right) google it right a way and you'll find out everything there is too know. my mum couldnt drive for a few weeks, and got given tablets and it went away. I mean it might not be that, but it sounds like it, its worth looking up info for it though. hope this helps! xxx

• OK if your a first cruiser this may happen to you but it doesn't to me anymore.

You get dizzy or light feet from you getting formally with the boat rocking up and down or side to side.

Then when you get on land and get the sickness.

I suggest wait a half an hour after the boat docks then go on land.

• That happened to me the first few times I cruised. It will resolve, eventually. If it's really bad, you could take benadryl [diphenhydramine] - ask your pharmacist. [It's the generic form of Dramamine - cheaper, though.]

Some people say ginger pills help, but they don't work for me.

• It's not uncommon at all. It will go away by itself with time.