Memorize a poem over summer?

Has anyone ever tried this? How did it turn out?

I wanted to see if I could memorize a poem over the rest of summer as a challenge to myself and then recite it in front of my family before school starts.

Comments

• I memorized a few of Shakespeare's sonnets...

Honestly, your goal is pretty simple, unless you pick a long poem. It's pretty easy to memorize things, so if you actually want to be impressive, pick a long poem or many short ones.

~~SKS

• I have done it and I recommend it. It is good for the brain :-)

Pick something you think is beautiful/meaningful because it helps when trying to memorize it.

I used to pick speeches out of plays and stuff, always in writing, never from movies (it is different to memorize something from writing then from sound) and I would also try to perform them.

I think you should give it a shot. If you pick a good poem you could use it to audition for the school play :-)

Best of luck, and stay creative with a desire to learn, that is what separates cool adults from working slaves :-)

• Yes, I have memorized the 154 sonnets of Shakespeare and the six great odes of Keats, amongst others. I started at age six memorizing Lincoln's "Gettysburg Address" and have never stopped. It will make you more functionally intelligent, so do it!

• I have an odd ability to do this. I once memorized 100 chemical equations for a test. Didn't miss a one.

• try to memorize a certian section each week and then put it together...it depends on the lenght of the poem and i have memorized poems b4.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=201007...

• that isn't much of a goal. if you really tried you could memorize it in a week

• Do0o0o0o it.