.270 & a cougar?

can a .270 kill a cougar if i were to run into one

Comments

• .270 will do the job. Please follow all laws regarding the taking of big cats.

• Yes, a .270 is more than enough for a cougar, but the real question is are you hunting cougars or just going to be in an area where they live? If you are hiking, fishing, camping or whatever and not actually hunting cougars I'd carry a Glock 10mm instead of a rifle.

I live in the mountains of Virginia and saw a cougar 1/2 mile from where I'm sitting now, and when I'm outside one of my Glocks is in my pocket in case kitty gets hungry.

Our game department says no cougars are here, but I know what I saw so I built a chain link trap to catch one, and when I do I'll have fun seeing how the head of our big game division explains it...

• the 270 is perfect for the cougar. it will kill it with no problem

• 270 is great,it will kill a cougar no problem

• Sure, but why would you want to kill a cougar? A .22 Magnum will kill a cougar but I would just leave them alone unless they are rogue or have become destructive to livestock. Check with your local game warden to be sure they are not protected in your area.

H

• Well, if you "run into one" it might be too late to get the rifle off your shoulder.

The .270 is easily capable of taking a Cougar.

Now, if you are referring to the Mercury Cougar, you might want to move up to magnum rounds.

• I hope so, if not my .243 wont either, and they are very common around here. I owuld imagine it would kill it, they arent very big or strong like other cats. The Game warden and DNR say they arent here, so there is no law protecting them, so yo can legally kill one here in Illinois, but they are very sneaky animals. I hope i get the chance to see/shoot one.

• Yes it will kill most game in North america it may be a tad small for griz or elk and moose , but it will kill them with a well placed shot

• Yes, it can kill it easily. Focus on shot placement and you will kill it real fast.

• i hope i "happen to run into one" with any caliber

therefore yes u can kill the SOB