How do i convert my carport to a garage?

I have a one-car port off the leftside of my house that is attached. The outer edges are supported by two beam (one front, one rear). I want to frame it in and make it a garage.

Comments

• well you will need a door to start or actually finish then i would suggest going to home depot or Menard's and see if they have any pre-fab wall frames then you will need some plywood to finish the walls then depending on if you want to insulate the garage you can buy some insulation, but you'll want to put that in before you add the plywood. you can also buy drywall for the inside of the garage and siding that matches your house for the outside. But above all make sure that its anchored in the ground with concrete and 4x4's. at least 3 feet in the ground but you could go as deep as 5 feet. Cause you don't want it blowing away in a storm. ohh you will also need lots of screws, a good power drill at least 18 volt with bits for screws and boring holes, a hammer, nails, a circular saw, saw horses, wires if you want a garage door opener, concrete mix, something to mix the concrete in like a wheelbarrel, a posthole digger, a few good buddies and a 12 pack of beer in case you get thristy ;)

• Bill has the right idea. I would use a hammer drill to bore some holes around perimeter, and insert some re bar. Then I would pour a ledge a few inches tall to set my walls on, inserting "J" bolts to hold bottom plate . Use a treated bottom plate at very least. I would not try to stand up a wall in this situation, I would stick frame 24" o.c.. You really don't even need a top plate. Just measure and cut each stud from bottom plate to bottom of beam. Sheath with plywood, or osb, house-wrap, side, caulk, and paint.

• You can either frame it in sections, or remove one beam while keeping the structure supported. You can then frame one side at a time by slowly forcing one side frame into place. I assume you know how to anchor that framing before installing it… I am not a carpenter, but we converted a carport into a den once. We only had one wall to deal with though.

I suggest you find a relevant Clinic at your local home depot if possible; however, if you can’t find a clinic that addresses your needs you can always purchase a how-to framing reference. :)

• Tear down the carport first. Then build the garage. You will probably want a good solid concrete pad to build on. You might be able to have one poured around the existing posts, but there will be long term problems unless you keep it bone dry.

• Pretty easy job, I have done several times, You don't need any structural support it already there with the post, leave them, on the slab lay out 2 ft on center wall, stand them up. The door depends on the opening, frame it to fit the size door you want- install door.