Why didn't Pres. O make a rule change to close Guantanamo Bay?

He told us yesterday that as long as he thinks it is the right thing to do he doesn't need congress. So get to work Pres. O!

Update:

andrew - i guess you think not reading the question is good research. if pres. obama can change law on immigration at will, i KNOW he could find a couple million to move some terrorists. get real.

Comments

• He is a sleazy, corrupt, Chicago machine, political hack.

• He did, but then Congressional Republicans put funding restrictions into larger bills that would not allow funds for transfer of the prisoners to federal facilities, so it was either completely free them, or keep it open since he had nowhere to put the prisoners.

But that's old news. Well, it is for anyone who takes the very minimum of effort to be informed before opening the hole under his/her nose.

EDIT: Wow, I guess your reading comprehension is especially poor. I'll repeat the answer, and will type slowly so you can follow -

HE DID SIGN AN EXECUTIVE ORDER TO CLOSE GUANTANAMO

Also - he's not the first president to ever sign an executive order. An executive order is not the same as "changing law at will." If you doubt it, see Bush executive orders on stem cell research, the global "gag order" on abortions, climate change, etc.

This specific area of immigration policy was never explicitly specified by law, and Obama has the discretion to alter previous policies in this way.

Sorry if you find the facts inconvenient or too complicated. Reality is like that sometimes.

• Technically, Congress does no longer authorize it. of direction, he replaced right into a member of Congress while he made that promise so which you may think of he'd comprehend that there replaced into little Congressional help for that. So the two he promised something that he knew Congress wasn't possibly to authorize in the different case he replaced into in simple terms clueless. P.S. The Democrats controlled Congress the 1st 2 years of Obama's term or maybe had a filibuster-evidence majority in the Senate for ~6 months; so which you will't particularly blame this one on the Republicans. quite a number of Democrats in Congress have been against remaining Gitmo too.

• He issued an Executive Order a couple of days after his swearing in but Congress refused to allocate funds to transfer prisoners to the U.S. and close the prison, even though we have convicted 450 terrorists who are in American prisons right now.

• Doesn't need Congress? That man sounds like a genius, if only he was...

• You know, it's really odd but I seem to remember the man swearing an oath that he would "faithfully execute the office of President". I guess he was lying when he said that.

• It was ALL ANOTHER OBAMA LIE.