Does Voltage Drop in a series circuit?.. i am confused....?

if you have 3 resistances in a series and a voltage of 120, then after passing through the first resistance will the voltage be lets say 100 volts???????

Comments

• Voltage drops in a series circuit across any of the loads. The amount of the voltage lost depends on the amount of resistance of the load. If there are more than one load in a series circuit, the sum of the loads equals the source voltage at the end of the circuit. Think of voltage as the pressure pushing the electrons through the circuit, the amperage as the measure of the number of electrons passing any given point in a circuit per second, while the resistance reduces the pressure of the voltage acting on the electrons. That's the only way I know how to explain it to you. Ohms law is E= I x R and you can apply algebra to solve for any of the three. E is electromotive force (volts), I is intensity(AMPS) and R is resistance.

• Voltage In A Series Circuit

• This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Does Voltage Drop in a series circuit?.. i am confused....?

if you have 3 resistances in a series and a voltage of 120, then after passing through the first resistance will the voltage be lets say 100 volts???????

• Yes, resistance causes voltage drops, and the sum of all of the voltage drops in a series circuit equals the voltage of the source. So if you have 3 equal-resistance resistors in series across 120V, each resistor will drop 40V. If the resistors are not equal, each will drop a different voltage, but their sum will still be 120.

• Lets say that you have three 100 ohm resistors connected in series and that network is then connected across 120 volt source. The total circuit resistance is 100 ohms + 100 ohms + 100 ohms or 300 ohms. The total circuit current flowing in the series circuit is: I = E / R, or, current = 120 volts / 300 ohms = 0.400 Amps. which is the same as 400 ma. Because the resistors are in series, the 400 ma of current will flow through each 100 ohm resistor (current in a series circuit is the same everywhere in the circuit). Each of the three 100 ohm resistors will have a voltage drop across them of 1/3 of the 120 volt source voltage. 120 volts / 3 = 40 volts.

Lets check that: voltage drop Vd = I x R; thus, 0.400 Amps x 100 ohms = 40 volts.

40 volts times three resistors is: 40 x 3 = 120 volts.

-----------------------

Do you see that in such a series circuit, if you took the two leads of your volt-meter and place them across each of the series 100 ohm resistors, the meter would read 40 volts across resistor. If you place the meter's two leads across the ends of the series resistor network, the meter would read the source voltage of 120 volts.

See: voltage drop in series circuits

http://www.wisc-online.com/objects/viewobject.aspx...

Best regards

• The answer is YES.

In series the same current pass through all, but the voltage across any one item will depend on that items resistance.

• Suppose you have resistors A, B and C in series and attached to voltage V.

The common current through all resistors is: I = V/(A+B+C)

The voltage across resistor A is (IA) = VA/(A+B+C)

Similarly, the voltage across the other two resistors is VB/(A+B+C) and VC/(A+B+C)