Convicts and Transports to Australia?

Are you an Australian or a Brit descended from someone transported to Oz in the 18th or 19th centuries? On the BBC this morning we were told that some 160,000 names of people transported to Oz are to be posted on the Internet. There are thought to be about 2million descendants of same.

Not sure who will manage this new site, could be a UK.gov one.

Comments

• I am! I am a descendent of Anne Forbes who arrived on the First Fleet (and went on the become the oldest surviving female convict).

A lot of convict descendents have family books and meetings to discuss the descendents - perhaps some of this information will be used for the website?

Good question and thanks for the info.

• I am descended from several transported convicts, both male and female. I can easily trace back to the first of my family name who was sent out here and arrived in Hobart in 1818. In fact there were a number of people sent out to Australia, to different states, who had my family name, but I am unsure if any of them were related. A descendant of one of them married my nephew, so a "B" married a "B".

• Ancestry.co.uk features records of 160,000 convicts transported to Australia between 1788 and 1868.

• Not me. My Dad was a £10 tourist from Surrey back in the 60's.

(back in the day when the Brits could come over whenever they liked. Not anymore though lol.)

• I doubt that that you will find many, if indeed any indigenous British families over several generations old that haven't either Gaelic,Celtic or other European bloodlines in them and the same goes for ancestors deported to either America, the West Indies or the Antipodes all used for punishments in the past for such heinous crimes such as stealing a loaf of bread when hungry.

So in answer to your question i think that 85% of us answer your criteria.

Good Luck in your research.

• You can now find out by connecting you family tree. You can get your DNA sequenced and see what British family you a descendant from.

• My wife is.