Do grass carp change colour?

I brought a grass carp a year ago and she was albino. I recently found a black grass carp and i only had the albino no other grass carps but i have many other fish so im unsure if she mated or she has changed colour.

Comments

• If it started out white or orange and darkened, it would become a greenish color and keep a white belly, not become black.

They are supposed to be sterile. If your water has any connections to others, you might have an invader. For the sake of the environment you may want to let some one know about this. Black carp are usually regular carp, not grass carp which have a white belly and either greenish or orange top sides. Grass carp have no barbels or whiskers and their eyes seem to be lower on their skull. Grass carp have a mouth that is more like a bass compared to the protrusible (vacuum cleaner) mouth of a regular carp. If nothing could have washed into your water, perhaps some water bird carried a carp egg on its legs or feathers and introduced it accidentally to your property.

• She might not have been a true albino. Many fish sold as albino in my experience are not always true albino and will darken with age or environment. Some of the wild-type grass carp can be very white or pale in color and it might have been mistake for a true albino.