As a photographer, how do you take your photos?

How do you take your photos for a special event such as a wedding, or a group gathering?

I would think that it would be hard manually changing the aperture and the shutter speed for each and every photo for such a lively event; however, I would think it's also very unreliable to just use autofocus.

How would you also take your photos for a photoshoot?

Is it simply changing the shutter speed and aperture? Because that seems reliable in that situation.

Comments

• I would say that 90% of the time I am in Aperture Priority. If I absolutely must be assured my shutter speed cannot get too slow, then I will use Shutter Priority. About the only time I use full Manual is when there is a tricky exposure circumstance and I have gone to extra effort to be assured of good exposure settings that any semi auto function may not produce. I will then set those parameters into the camera manually so I can be sure exposure will be correct. I also typically use full Manual indoors when using a flash. I don't want the aperture to get too small or it will drain the flash and I don't want the shutter speed to be over sync speed or too slow and cause some blurring, so I will set the aperture to say f5.6 and the shutter speed to 1/100 and ISO to 800. The flash can then control it's output as needed in ETTL mode. If I have plenty of time, I will determine ideal flash power output and set the flash at that point manually also.

Bottom line, I use whatever is best for the situation, but often with the use of the semi auto modes. There is nothing "sinful" about some automation with the camera. What separates the good photographers from the amateur button pushers is being able to work WITH these modes to produce the shot you want, whereas the unskilled have EVERYTHING on Auto and hope for the best. If the photo comes out good or bad, they have no idea as to any reasons why.

steve

• You must be relying on the "experts" who tell you that everyone uses Manual and changes settings all the time.

False.

I shoot sports and news events, where lighting and situations change rapidly. For sports I choose Shutter priority and let the camera choose the aperture. For events and portraits, I choose Aperture priority and let the camera (within limits) choose the shutter speed. When using flash, the dedicated flash makes the decisions.

But you are correct, that making all the important decisions (aperture, shutter speed, focal length, lighting choice, composition, angle, color balance, etc) are stressful and critical. That's why professional photographers charge so much for weddings and the like. It's not like a kid snapping a selfie in the bathroom mirror and claiming to be a photographer.

I shoot for two online publications and some local museums. If I had to fiddle with manual settings, I'd miss more shots than I would capture.

• It's a myth that experienced photographers only shoot manual. They shoot with whatever settings are appropriate for the subject and setting. Most photographers will shoot aperture preferred and let the camera choose the shutter speed. If they're using a flash, the shutter speed is fixed and the camera adjusts the amount of light put out by the flash. Aperture controls depth of field, which is important for making sure that everything that's supposed to be in focus is.

There are two groups of photographers who always shoot manual: those with so much experience that it's second nature and for them almost as fast as auto. The second group are those who want to portray themselves as members of the first group, in other words, posers.

• You don't have to change the settings for EVERY shot. Even if you did have to, it only takes a second if you know what result you want. If you are well-versed with the exposure triange (ISO, shutter speed, and aperture), changing settings to correct for a different lighting situation/whatever is not that difficult.

• I would guess about 95% of wedding/event photographers (myself included) use autofocus and either aperture priority or program mode when photographing.

Autofocus is completely reliable, and all the different exposure modes give the photographer equal control over the final image, they just go about it in a slightly different way.

• I often just set the ISO and put my camera on aperture priority. Then all I really need to do is make sure that my shutter speed is sufficient.

• I change what needs to be changed. It comes very naturally after a while. I've never relied on auto anything because it always just slows you down and messes you up.

The biggest problem Ive seen is people get wireded out when you're not jumping up and down, machine-gunning at them because that's the only way they've been photographed before.

• ou eu contrato um fotografo eu eu tiro uma foto minha com o fundo do lugar que eu esteja