Old computer upgrade?

I have an old ibm computer that's about 10 year old. It's really slow and all the hardware is old. I want to upgade some parts but I don't want to spend to much money on it as i'm only going to use it to browse the web. I'm not sure what parts to upgrade. I'm already going to get 2gb of RAM and install windows vista on it but other than that i don't know what to do. I also need to know what would be compatible with a motherboard that old. Or maybe i need to upgrade the motherboard? I don't know just please help.

Comments

• That's so old it's not with upgrading unless you want a barely faster machine!

• OK, by upgrading the motherboard, you need to upgrade everything, so in other words, that is like making your computer brand new.

If you are going to upgrade the memory stick, good luck with that, those memories are way more expensive than the DDR2 and DDR3.

For today's apps and software, it demands a fast processor, and I doubt that a 10 year old computer or motherboard have that type of a processor.

And last but not least, the worst idea you could have is upgrading an old computer to install Vista, one of the worst OS from Microsoft, which by the way have no support, you are better off with windows 7 which doesn't need or demand as much as Vista.

My recommendation? Get a bundle, where you can get the MB, RAM and processor for a price, it will be cheaper. And if possible, use Linux instead of Windows. Your computer will run much faster, with less ram. Never use Linux before? Download and install Zorin, it let you set the UI as Windows 7, Vista or XP, or as Ubuntu. That way you won't feel so out of touch, it feels just like Windows.

• With a computer that old, there's really nothing left to do but just upgrade every component. Chances are, by the end of it, you'd have a whole new computer. The only thing you could possible salvage from it would be the monitor, and possibly the case. Chances are, the case is very antiquated as well, and would need to be replaced. If you want to do this yourself, and not buy a pre built desktop, you need to do some research on your own about how to build a system. There are loads of good resources out there that a simple google search will find for you.