how to separate neodymium magnets?

i bought a couple of neodymium magnets (strong magnets) just to play around with to see how good they are, problem is though, i have got them stuck together, and cannot pull them apart, they are only small ish cylinders with a whole through the middle.

can anyone help? they are stick solid! :(

thanks in advance

Comments

• Try sliding them apart as another answerer suggested. Also try slipping a piece of stiff paper or plastic between the magnets, to get them a little bit apart. This will make them much easier to separate by sliding apart. (Try a business card or a piece of plastic that is the thickness of a credit card, but *not* a credit card, since this would be ruined by the magnet).

• You probably need to get a wedge and a hammer.. Be carefull not to hit too hard or you might break them. neodymium is very brittle. You could also try getting rubber gloves for better grip and jsut pulling them apart with your hands and a little elob grease (what IS elbow grease?)

And to the guy who say they can't be pulled apart. i had a couple of 52 neodymiums that were 2in x 1in x .75in. Thwey got stuck together and I pulled them apart with my bare hands. It was hard, I'll give you that, but it's not impossible.

Neodymium magnets are the strongest naturally occurring permanent magnets, but they are still relatively weak compared to what man made electromagnets can do..

• For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/avP5t

The strength of neodymium magnets is in the range N24-N55, N55 being the strongest. Separate all magnets, then get a heavy nail or heavy metal object, hold one magnet about 12" inches from the metal object using a ruler, once the object is drawn to the magnet, then you will know the distance, N42 should be weaker than N52. Ferrous: is a bivalent iron compound (+2 oxidation state), as opposed to ferric, which indicates a trivalent iron compound (+3 oxidation state). Outside of chemical science, ferrous is an adjective used to indicate the presence of iron, Ferrous metals include steel and pig iron (with a carbon content of a few percent) and alloys of iron with other metals (such as stainless steel).

• Strong Thin Magnets

• Those things are never coming apart, as you can't defy that level of natural magnetism. Might get lucky if you try sliding them apart.

• Maybe put them on something ferrous and do a pull-test. The ones that release using less force would be the weaker of the two.

• Slide sideways until you can get string through the holes - now you can get a grip.