iPod + FM Transmitter issue in my car. NOISE?

First off I know that FM Transmitters do not give the best sound output quality but it's the only thing I have to work with.

Here is my setup: iPod Nano 1st Gen. connected to iTrip (sled full body 2005) FM Transmitter. This iTrip has a USB type mini-B connection that its main function is to be used with charging the Nano plugged into the computer's USB port. I have a mini-B to type A (standard) USB cable that plugs into a 12V USB car adapter and that plugs into the 12V DC jack in my car.

When I have this setup and I'm charging the ipod without playing music I dont hear any noise but when I play music on the iPod in my car while it's charging than it gives this sharp annoying louder noise... and it's not static but it's loud and very high pitched.

I've been trying to find the source of where this noise is being produced from.

I'm wondering if there's an electrical explanation for why this is happening and what that noise interence is called.

Comments

• Unplug the charger and see if the noise goes away. If so, then you may be picking it up from the cigarette lighter socket. Most car manufacturers don't bother to filter that line as a lighter could care less. There are filters that can be installed on the back side of the socket that will cure that problem. We see it quite often on motorcycles when people add a lighter socket and run the wires directly to the battery.

Feel free to contact me via my profile email and I will help further if that doesn't work, as problem could be the power source for the FM modulator.

• this is because that you are to close to a radio station. i found that it is more likely to be distorted on a song that has alot of bass. i am not sure why but it is what happens with mine. also the better your transmitter is the less likely this is to happen.