How do i upgrade my Mac os X 10.4 to 10.5?

i recently restore my computer to factory setting and it's telling me that most of the app that i use needs at least a OS X 10.5. i tried upgrading through the update but still haven't reached 10.5. i have copy of the mac os X snow leopard that my friend gave me but it won't run either. Please help!!!

Comments

• If your mac does not have a built in camera, then you cannot use Snow Leopard at all.

If you mac does have a built in camera, then you can use your friends Snow Leopard install disk. There are no restrictions on what systems you can use the disk on like Windows. What you need to do it start up from the dvd, select Disk Utility at the install screen from the top tool bar. Erase your disk, format it as "Mac os extended (Journalated)" and then install Snow Leopard.

• Snow Leopard (OS 10.6) is for Intel processors only. If you have a G-5 or earlier, it won't work. Also Apple OS disks that come with a Mac are set up to be specific to that model Mac only. IE: An iMac version will not install in a Mac Book, etc.

Updates are what you do for free within a specific OS. IE: OS 10.4.0 can be updated as far as 10.4.11.

To go to OS 10.5 (Leopard) requires an upgrade rather than an update. You will have to either buy/borrow a 10.5 install set for your model Mac or a generic set. (The commercial OS bought from Apple that will work on any model Mac that can support it.) Even a 10.5.0 set would work, and then you could update it to 10.5.8(?) free. The same would apply with OS 10.6 if you have an Intel processor.

• You have to buy a copy of 10.5, aka Leopard.

• "i have copy of the mac os X snow leopard that my friend gave me but it won't run either"

Of course it won't work. Your friend already installed it on his Mac, and Apple isn't stupid enough to let anyone else install it as well.

This isn't "Rocket Science":

You have to BUY your own version of Snow Leopard.