Will Car Dealers Do Even Trade Ins?

I purchased a 2007 350z after my previous Civic Si was totaled in a flood. I thought I could manage with only two seats; however, I now realize this was a bad decision. At this point I am looking to trade my Z for an equal value X3 or RDX. Will dealerships offer equal value trades? Obviously I will face sales tax/fees again.

Comments

• They will do an even trade if they get more in value than they are giving.

Typically, you pay retail, they give you wholesale for yours.

Otherwise, they have no reason to trade.

Dealers don't stay in business by swapping cars of equal value.

• Even Trade Car

• You do realize there is no such thing as an even trade. Since all car dealers sell at retail and buy at wholesale your car would have to be worth several thousand dollars more on the wholesale market than the car you want to buy is on the retail market.

For example. Lets say you have a 2007 350z and you want to trade it in. It's worth approximately $16,000 on the wholesale market as a trade in to a dealer. So that RDX you want is going to have to be worth $16,000 or less retail in order for the swap to be anywhere close to "even". Dealer retail on a 2007 Acura RDX is over $22,000. So you are short of an even trade by $6000. An '07 BMW X3 is almost $26,000 so you'd be $10 Grand short if you were trading "even" for a BMW.

Make sure you compare wholesale Z prices to Retail SUV prices if you want to get anywhere near an even trade. I'm not saying it can't be done, you just have to know how the numbers work and they almost never work in favor of the trade in.

• It's an extremely rare case that a dealership will accept even trades. I've only seen a couple of no-money trades where I work, and that was someone trading WAY down (Cadillac to Impala). Dealerships are in business to make money, and very rarely if ever accept "even" trades, or trades for equal value. The problem is what you see as an even trade isn't really even. The car values MUST be identical in order to be considered even. If you only recently bought the car you could ask for a trade, but odds are if they don't have a buyer for the car you're kinda stuck with the Z. Best option is to sell the Z and buy another car.

• No such thing. When you trade a car into a dealer they need to be able to make money on the deal. This is how they stay in business.

• Will about Car Trade Ins, there are some car companies offers such service like Toyota or Kia for new cars from them.

• the only way you will get an even trade is if your car is worth more than the one you want. there out there to make money so an even trade isn't worth the time.

• Sure, car dealers exist just to help people like you. Seriously, they won't consider it unless it benefits them.