Do Sat. Navs. cause accidents ?

Are many drivers so busy looking and listening to their sat. navs. they are not properly aware of other traffic around them ? ie They suddenly change direction without looking first or using indicators.

Comments

• A sat nav is just a tool.

Unfortunately, so are many drivers...

• No Sat Navs don't. STUPID DRIVERS cause accidents. Even if you go by the fact that the driver is distracted it isn't the distraction that is causing the accident, it's STILL the driver. Now yes there are drivers that are too worried about what a sat nav tells them so they don't pay any attention to what is going on around them. Just like the stupid drivers that turn where there isn't a road, or the wrong way on a one way road, because that's what the sat nav told them to do. Sure big signs say ONE WAY or you can SEE there isn't a road there, BUT the sat nav told them to go there so they have to.

• It is true that a sat nav is a tool for the driver. Problem is many drivers cannot handle simple distractions let along more complex ones. How many use sat nav to go to places they know well? Maybe the supermarket or home? The turn it one because they have it. They get to rely on it and when it makes an unusual decision, panic sets in and the sat nav is taken for gospel and followed.

Personally I would rather they were not invented. It is surprisingly easy to navigate without one and without having a map on your lap.

• There are a few incidents where drivers have blamed sat navs for their idiocy - followed the directions off a wharf into a river, for instance.

I don't think the modern speaking satnavs are too distracting - they give advance warning, like "turn in 300 metres", so drivers should not be suddenly turning without warning.

Here, fiddling with the controls while driving is covered under the distracted driving or handheld device laws

• As said it's drivers who cause accidents.

Sat Navs can be a distraction or an aid to better driving if used properly

• No, sat navs give advanced warning instructions and pictures (if needed) so they will never be the cause of a sudden change. Bad drivers are bad drivers

• Sat Navs need to be updated regularly and drivers need to follow road signs in addition to information from sat nav. Following sat mav instructions without paying attention to the road, traffic and signs is a recioe for disaster.

• No the drivers cause accidents!!! The sat nav is tellin u where to go aswell as showin u.if the driver cant listen properly while drivin they shdnt hav a sat nav!!

• i think of so , a guy close to me drove up a foot direction the different day till he develop into compelled to end as he hit the wall on a similar time as following his sat nav ok the unfavorable fool develop into on his cellular telephone on the time so he could no longer see the place he develop into going, God comprehend what is going to take place whilst some one figures out the thank you to get the satnav tocontinual the damned vehicle lIke an vehicle pilot. by ability of how I stay in Switzerland so i will inform you that the subject isn't purely in GB. There are idiots each and every the place

• Yes and no.

Obviously it's not the FAULT of the little gizmo that the car veers off the road and into a tree, but they certainly cause idiot drivers to get distracted, like mobile phones, being drunk, shouting at the kids in the back seat etc...