My dog has no dog etiquette. help please!?

I adopted my american staffy 2 months ago. He's now one yr old. His previous owners never taught him how to great and play with other dogs.

today he met a 2 dogs (small jack russells)

They played for a while but now they just want to lay down.

but....my dog doesnt get it. He just cant leave them alone he has to keep sniffing their faces and getting in their space. ..so he keeps getting nipped.

he does not grasp the concept of 'leave me alone'

Ive told him a very stern no but these are the first dogs he's ever played with in his life and he is just too over excited.

Can anyone offer some help on what I should do because he's got a small wound on his ear now...and he still hasnt learnt?

Comments

• That's great you are socializing him! You don't want to have to always worry about how he will react if you have a friend or family bring a pet over or if you want to take him out on the town. I would recommend dog training classes. They have many levels of obedience training and can give you helpful tips on what to do in situations such as the one you talk about. If that's a little out of budget, there are loads of books on training a new pet. Hope this helps and good luck!

• I'm sorry, but not only is it really not necessary for him to 'play' with other dogs, honestly (it should be YOU he plays with) but it's totally up to you to have your dog under control so he doesn't bug other dogs. You say he has a small wound on his ear now - one of these days he's going to get way more than that and end up in a massive fight. Terriers are actually known for being 'sparky' with other dogs, especially males. Be warned, and the moment he doesn't back off other dogs, get him on his lead and out of there. Assuming this is in a dog park - wretched places, full of infection, for starters.

• take him for walks more often. That will get him tired to piss of other dogs. works really well with my dogs