Does tea dehydrate you?

My mum says it does but others say it doesn't. It's just that I'm a little worried because it's all I drink, but If it dehydrates you then I need to drink other stuff.

I'm also addicted to the caffiene, so's my mum and little brother, we're all big tea drinkers XD

It gives me real bad anxiety though :(

-x

Comments

• I'm sorry to say, but everybody except "raspberry" is incorrect. Caffeine does not dehydrate. It does make your body process liquids a bit faster, but it does not cause you to lose any more hydration than the normal processing does.

This was recently proved scientifically, and it makes common sense. How many of us know, or are, the person who drinks only cola and coffee and maybe iced tea. If caffeine were a diuretic, they'd all be dead, long ago.

If the caffeine makes you anxious, then you should probably cut back for that reason, but not because of any bad effect it has on your hydration levels.

• Caffeine does dehydrate faster than normal, but you are also drinking a lot of water since tea is mostly water. Plus, most teas don't have that much caffeine.

Perhaps a good happy medium is to alternate between regular tea and decaf tea throughout the day. Moderation is the key!

• Tea is a diuretic, this means that it causes you to urinate more frequently, so this could lead to dehydration, I would suggest that you drink some water during the day to keep hydrated.

If you are getting bad anxiety from too much caffiene try cutting down or drinking de-caff.

• Caffeine acts as a diuretic which means it does dehydrate you. If it is giving you anxiety problems it is probably a good idea to cut back on the caffeine consumption.

• I second these two answers. Tea isn't bad for you but hydrate yourself with water in the mean time. Water is the very best thing you can put in your body. :)

• I agree with Sarakh