does dog poop fertilize the grass?

my parents always yell at me to clean up after my dogs..

I always tell them "it's good fertilizer!"

is it even true?

does dog poop fertilize grass?

Comments

• NO. NO. Not only is it smelly and unsightly, but it poses certain health risks. In small amounts, dog (and cat) feces will produce a fertilizer effect on the lawn that results in dark green patches and areas of noticeably taller grass. In large amounts or when left on the lawn for too long, dog feces will release excessive amounts of nitrogen and salts into the soil as it breaks down, which results in brown patches or "burn" marks on the lawn. Over time, areas suffering only mild damage will recover on their own. Dark green patches and areas of tall grass are likely to remain for a few weeks. In areas of sever damage, however, the grass may need to be completely reseeded or patched with fresh sod. Animal waste is full of nitrogen. Think of animal urine like a concentrated liquid fertilizer and feces as a slow release fertilizer. Like any fertilizer, both will burn your lawn when used in excess.

Even more important are the health risks. Dog feces attracts breeding flies, which transmit disease. Feces can also be a vector for transmitting certain diseases between dogs and people (Salmonella, Campylobacter, Roundworms and Hookworms). This is especially true of children, which are much less likely to wash their hands after playing in the yard. The eggs of roundworms, for example, are passed in the feces of dogs and can survive in the soil for many years-regardless of disinfectants or weather extremes. If the eggs are accidentally ingested, the worms can cause serious neurological, pulmonary and vision problems in the body. This is why many municipalities require owners to clean up after their dogs in public parks and why you should never add animal waste to your compost.

TL;DR NO IT'S BAD. CLEAN UP AFTER YOUR DOG OR GET RID OF IT CUZ DANG IT IF I STEP IN DOG POOP ONE MORE TIME I WILL COME HUNT YOU DOWN PERSONALLY (EVEN IF YOU DOG DIDN'T DO IT AND TAKE A CRAP ON YOUR LAWN.

• Sarah,

No, dog waste isn't a good fertilizer, and it can actually harm the environment.

Check out the Bags on Board site, the folks there have compiled a list of links with info on the dangers of Over-POOP-ulation.

I learned a ton after visiting the site.

• This Site Might Help You.

RE:

does dog poop fertilize the grass?

my parents always yell at me to clean up after my dogs..

I always tell them "it's good fertilizer!"

is it even true?

does dog poop fertilize grass?

• Nope. Only grass eating animals waste would be considered fertilizer (horses, goats, sheep etc.) even so, its not any good until its decomosed or it will sometimes "burn" plants if it is still green.

• Just to add to Captain, dog feces is often very salty also adding to grass plant distress. And yes it will burn the lawn, attract flies, harbor disease, stink, etc.

• Dog poo are the best, even it burn grass it will recover quickly, i got some from walmart, it was too strong

, the burn never recover.

• No, generally speaking, any feaces of carnivores is NOT good ferilizer.