POP via Mail Constantly Asks For Password?

I'm using Mail (OS-X, Mail v3.2) to check my Yahoo MailPlus account. It will work fine for weeks, even months at a time, and then suddenly start asking for my password every time it checks mail. This is the message that pops up: The POP server “plus.pop.mail.yahoo.com” rejected the password for user "blahblah."

I've tried deleting my POP account and re-entering it. I've tried changing my password and re-entering that. I'm using plus.pop.mail.yahoo.com as the incoming mail server and Port 995-SSL with password authentication.

Any ideas?

Comments

• I am having the same problem w Mac Mail 3.2 and Outlook. Highly annoying! Please fix this, Yahoo! or you will see a mass exodus to free gmail and the added benefit they offer of IMAP goodness.

• I wish I could help...but I've had this same problem for many weeks on both Mail and MS Outlook. I tried removing the "plus" from the "plus.pop.mail.yahoo.com". For a while it seemed better, then it started up again. Seems to have gotten worse since Yahoo changed mail servers and added the "plus" to the POP setting.

I hope someone else can answer your question. Even though the recurring password prompt is a minor aggravation, it's making me nuts. Maybe a .Mac account instead of Yahoo would take care of it. :-)

• You may want to check how many POP connections you're making. Not sure what's going on with Yahoo, but I have a feeling that they have it set so you can only make 1 POP connection to their servers per account. My reasoning - I had my blackberry receiving Yahoo Mail, in addition to my desktop at home. I thought about this (the 1 connection per account) and removed the yahoo account from my Blackberry. Since doing this the yahoo auth problem has not re-surfaced since. Just a thought -

• Unfortunately this is a new feature of Yahoo's paid "Plus" email service.

It's not anything you are doing wrong. This is a known issue. If you try to contact their technical support, either they wont reply back or they will ask you to check your email client settings; even though there's nothing wrong with your setup.

You shouldn't expect any better service from Yahoo's "Plus" paid service, or you will be disappointed. Especially, if you're trying to report an issue about their service not working correctly.

• I'm having the exact same problem and, though I reported it to Yahoo, I haven't heard back from them.

Is anyone else having this problem?