Why do dogs chew grass?

...Does this help their digestive system in any way? At least, that's what I've heard...

Comments

• In most cases, grass irritates the stomach lining and will induce vomiting - dogs seem to know instinctively to seek it out to help them vomit whatever is causing the stomach pain.

However, I have seen dogs that regularly eat grass with no ill effects; actually, they seem to enjoy it. So, it's still a bit of a mystery since it can affect different dogs differently.

• Some do it to ease an upset stomach or make themselves throw up whatever made them sick. However, over the years of owning dogs, I've come to realize that some dogs just like to eat grass. My aussies tends to graze in the pasture with my horses sometimes. She's making herself a salad. I asked my vet to see if anything was up. She was given a green light and said that some dogs just like it.

• Dogs usually eat grass when their stomachs are bothering them or it can also be a nervous habit. My dog eats grass when shes really anxious. If you've got your dog on a low quality diet you would notice more grass eating.

• dogs and cats both eat grass.I've heard that it's like medicine,like when you get a shot, it helps prevent sickness.And also good advise,ask your local vet.

• When they have an upset belly.... It helps them throw up

• I had heard it too. Sometimes it makes them barf.

• belly ache.