Stem cell research...?

If you are against stem cell research, are you also against in vitro fertilization?

Why or why not?

It seems to me that there is not nearly as much controversy over IV fertilization, but stem cell research is a hot issue. I fail to see the reasoning behind this.

Update:

In vitro fertilization creates several "lives" most of which die in the process. I think education might be of some benefit to those who fail to see this hypocrisy.

Comments

• They accept gravity, but deny evolution.

It seems kinda normal to them to always accept only the parts of science that suit them.

• I have no idea what stem cell research is or what it has to do with reporduction, genetics, pregnancy, etc., yet I can see the aspects of their components. If there is such a think as "stem cell" research, you should speak with a botanist, not a geneticist. Besides, if someone says, "When the sperm and egg meet, that is life," I would reply, "You can lose that life very easily, not to mention having too many strings attached to it such as human complexity and parential fantasies." What is involved in these reproductive controversies is the technology that is designed to enhance the process, not distort it. I am not against stem cell research yet I do not support such a thing. My religion forbids pregnanacy and thus I am not able to answer this question they way you expect. May you be blessed.

• Is the job of the Master of the Universe, (Jehova, Allah, you name it) to supervise who should be born and who should not? Is HE actually a conscious being or just a force, like gravity? Does HE actually select among all the human sperms of the 6 billion inhabitants of the earth which sperm will win the race to fertilize the egg so that a particular soul, you for example, is going to become a different individual human being from all others?

Does the Master of the Universe supervise just human sperms, but ignores the sperms of all the animals because they don't need a soul?

Or, is it possible that the law of natural selection, simply makes the fastest sperm get to the egg first and fertilize it, and that all sperms behave in the same way, both in humans and in elephants?

• What most people don't realize is that there is adult stem cell research and embryonic stem cell research - any many issues behind both, however, to date, the adult stem cell research has had much more promising results than that of embyonic stem cell research.

You will find that the majority are NOT opposed to adult stem cell research.

As far as comparing stem cell research to in vitro - they are totally differnt subjects. In vitro gives life, embryonic stem cell research takes the life of an unborn child.

• Embryonic stem cell research is the harvesting of beings that did not choose to give up thier right to live on this earth.

I also think that IV fertilization should be given up and people should adopt all of the children that are shuffled around thru the system.

• I am for both.

Stem cell research would be benificial to everyone just becasue of the posibility that with the proper testing and research, we could eliminate some serious health problems.

In virto is often used to deal with fertility problems and genetic counsling. Why shouldn't we be given the opprotunity to bear children and test them before they are born for some serious medical issues.

I think people dislike both of these, not because of moral or religious beliefs, but because it is in our nature to be afraid of what we do not know.

• Stem cell research could fix all of the world problems.

Apples have stems.

Is that why Christians don't like stem cell research?

• I"m against embryonic stem cell research, but I'm for imbilical cord research. I"m against invitro. There are too many kids who need to be adopted.

• Not many people know what are stem cells and what stem cell research is. Many are ignorant and thinks that stem cell research is all about harvesting unborn fetuses!

"In order to do stem cell research you have to take a life." --quote by poster below me.

"Embryonic stem cell research is the harvesting of beings that did not choose to give up thier right to live on this earth" -- quote from another poster below me.

"embryonic stem cell research takes the life of an unborn child." -- another quote

See how ignorant people are? Please tell me how does stem cell research take a life. Somehow, ignorant people are becoming stem cell research scientist. Please people! Embryonic stem cell research DOES NOT take any life!!!!!!!

• I am for stem cell research. My grandma has Parkinson's and knowing that research could result in a cure for such horrible things is all the "why?" I need.