How much do English Professors make?

I want to teach during the school year and write novels in the summer. How much do people of this profession make? Are there any other professions that have to do with writing you can suggest to me? If I become an english teacher I will most likely major in creative writing and get a masters or phd in english.

Comments

• You seem to be asking two different things. The term professor is used to refer to college or university instructors. Even with a doctorate degree, it is difficult to get a university teaching job. Most professors are expected to teach during the summer session. They cannot just expect the summer off. Some college professors in my area make less than the top scale public school teachers.

If you choose to earn a teaching degree in English with certification to teach grades 7-12, you need to prepare to teach any of those grades, and specialized subject within that area. Beginning teachers do not get to choose. Those teachers already in the district may apply to teach the more desirable classes, such as American Literature or creative writing. New teachers may start around $40,000. It could be several years before an opening would be available in a class or grade that you particularly want in that district. Public school secondary level teachers also frequently teach summer school for extra pay.

• How much a college professor makes depends on the subject they teach. For example a drama professor can make around $93,800 but an English professor makes only $74,800. You can find more information here