Writer's, do you prefer past or present tense?

My novel is written in the present tense. That's me, though. I've heard that some people hate writing in the present tense.

Update:

My current series is set in the first person. I must be an unusual writer, then. So many people seem to hate writing in the first person, especially if it's in the present tense. I don't know why I like it. I just do. It comes quite naturally to me. Did I mention that my series is an epic fantasy? I don't think I've ever read a first person fantasy, before. What can I say? I like being unique. :)

Comments

• I only write stories in past tense. Present tense is a challenge I don't want to take -- I find it very hard to say in present tense.

• I don't hate writing in the present tense. In fact, I've never tried it. I do hate READING in the present tense however.

In my opinion, writing in the present tense isn't as easy as writing in the past tense. People have been writing in past tense for years. Everyone is used to it. But because Present tense is more uncommon, you have to be able to pull it off without making it obvious that you've written in that tense. In other words, if I read your story and I don't realize it's present tense until I'm hooked, then you have the skill for it.

Beginners should always master past tense before trying present. That's just my opinion.

• It's not a matter of how you write, it's what you write that counts. There are many ways in which you can convey a story; the trick is can you write it well and keep the reader engaged?

You also didn't say whether you write in first or third person - you can use present tense in either of those as well. Most fiction is written in third person because it is very easy to explore all of the characters and easier to engage the reader. First person is much more difficult to write because it is only from one point of view. It seems like a lot of young authors here use that because that's the only thing they can identify with and have not done a lot of reading.

However, keep writing if you like it.

• Past, most definitely past. Because when I even dare to write a sentence in present, I get confused. Yes, I apparently have a tiny brain. O.o It's just that writing in present tense hinders my ability to really craft sentences and use words how they should be used.

Whenever I've accidentally come across a book written in the present tense, there are almost always tense mistakes in them.

However, if you're really comfortable writing in first person and tried to write in third person and failed, then you shouldn't force it. I can't imagine ever writing to my full potential in present tense.

• I prefer to write in past, but there is nothing wrong with writing in present. I'm not a fan because it makes my work feel stilted, but I've read a lot of books where the author has managed to pull it off, in particular Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt.

There's pros and cons to both tenses. For past, it comes more naturally to a lot of writers because most books are written that way. Plus, if you write in past, you can reflect on things more; for instance, in Jane Eyre, the narrator is able to look back on her early life and better understand her feelings and emotions. But in present tense, you can really get into the moment and sometimes the descriptions are more interesting that way.

• I personally believe that it can be interesting to use multiple tenses in one piece. For example, I've started a book that uses past, present, AND future tense, in the first, second, AND third person. However, if you want to do this, make sure the trainsition is smooth and fluent. However, if I had to choose, I would say past tense.

• I think writing in present tense is a little more unique than the every day book out there, and it gives me a bit of a challenge. I also have a hard time with sentence fluency when I write in past tense - which is hardly ever anymore - and I just get bored with it.

:)

• I prefer past tense, it's just easier. Although it's only really because I always start with one of those "I'm in a bad situation, let me tell you how I got here" paragraphs. Present tense helps with suspense and tension, but I find it easier to write in past tense.

• I have found that writing past tense is easier for me. I can write present, but it doesn't flow as well in my writing style. Present is a hard thing to do, but has been done very well in a few books(Hunger Games and A Great and Terrible Beauty)

mine please?

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=201012...

• I don't really like 3rd person present, but first present as well as first past works fairly well.

But I find it easier and better to write in write in first present because, well, my stories aren't the type that you look back upon and reminisce upon- but rather live in the moment and calm down for a moment, then live another moment and scene that you'll only remember when you're old and wrinkly and you wish you could do it again.