is [email protected] a scam?

someone who I met on a dating site wrote to me and said they needed the code from this email because they were selling a car on craigslist..I asked why they sent it to me and didn't get an answer I liked so I want to know whats up with it?

Comments

• 100% scam.

There is no real person from the dating site, no car for sale and nothing legit in those emails from a scammer.

The scammer used that email to set up his fake craigslist account since his other email addresses have been shut down for scams. He wants you to give him the code so he can send it to craigslist so he can start posting is fake "car for sale" ads.

Now that you have responded to a scammer, you are on his 'potential sucker' list, he will try again to separate you from your cash. He will send you more emails from his other free email addresses using another of his fake names with all kinds of stories of being the perfect buyer, great jobs, lottery winnings, millions in the bank and desperate, lonely, sexy singles. He will sell your email address to all his scamming buddies who will also send you dozens of fake emails all with the exact same goal, you sending them your cash via Western Union or moneygram.

You could post up the email address and the emails themselves that the scammer is using, it will help make your post more googlable for other suspicious potential victims to find when looking for information.

Do you know how to check the header of a received email? If not, you could google for information. Being able to read the header to determine the geographic location an email originated from will help you weed out the most obvious scams and scammers. Then delete and block that scammer. Don't bother to tell him that you know he is a scammer, it isn't worth your effort. He has one job in life, convincing victims to send him their hard-earned cash.

Whenever suspicious or just plain curious, google everything, website addresses, names used, companies mentioned, phone numbers given, all email addresses, even sentences from the emails as you might be unpleasantly surprised at what you find already posted online. You can also post/ask here and every scam-warner-anti-fraud-busting site you can find before taking a chance and losing money to a scammer.

If you google "Western Union dating site scam", "craigslist car seller scam", "fake email scam" or something similar you will find hundreds of posts from victims and near victims of this type of scam.

• It's a SCAM. NEVER send a code to anyone

These are Nigerian scammers who post fake car ads on Craigslist to con people into sending $6000 for a car that doesn't exist. And when the person who lost the money reports the theft, the police arrest you as YOUR confirmation code was used to post the ad

NOBODY would ever ask for your code if they were not doing something illegal

Also report this person to the dating site

And when doing online dating NEVER communicate offsite with anyone until you have met in person A scammer will immediately want you to start chatting through IM, text, personal email, etc. DO NOT do this. Tell them you are sorry but you will only chat through the email or IM on the dating site until you have met. If the refuse, stop talking to them as they are scammers