Is New Mexico a state? ASAP?

Everyone keeps telling me it is, but that doesn't make sense because how could it be part of the USA if it has "Mexico" in it???? I bet $20 so please help? Also does everyone there speak Spanish?

Comments

• New Mexico is a state. It's our 47th state, admitted to the union in 1912.

Before that it was a territory, part of the land we took from Mexico in the Mexican War of the 1840s. Before that it was part of Mexico.

Yes, many people there speak Spanish. When we took over all that land (New Mexico, Arizona, California, Nevada, Utah, most of the West and Southwest), we signed a treaty allowing the Mexican residents there to stay and to keep their culture and their language and their Catholic religion forever. So there are neighborhoods in big cities and also whole small towns where Spanish has been the primary language for centuries.

Not EVERYONE speaks Spanish there, though. And most people who do speak Spanish are bilingual.

• I'm curious, since you are already on the internet, why didn't you just GOOGLE IT like anyone with half a brain? Oh wait, anyone with half a brain would know that "NEW Mexico" is, by definition, NOT Mexico. Just like New York is not York and New England is not England. Anyone who finished fifth grade would know the names of the 50 states, hell even elementary school dropouts would have at least heard the names of the states before. But besides the fact that you must be missing 99 percent of your brain if you don't already know that New Mexico is a state, why the hell would you not save your $20 and just google "New Mexico"?? You could even google, "Is New Mexico a state?" and every single answer would have saved you that $20. You could have even put it in your phone's maps app and seen clearly that it's in the US. Actually that might not help, I'm guessing you've never looked at a map before and have no idea what the United States looks like. You know what, do yourself a favor and just kill yourself. Or at the very least don't have children. Hey I have a money making opportunity for you: Let's bet on geography facts! If you get anything right, I'll give you $20. If I get anything right, you give me $20. Deal?

• All territories need a vote by it's people to become a state. Most people are not aware that there are several territories still part of the USA. When Mexico declared it's independence from Spain they tried to lay claim to part of Texas and California and the areas in between. There were more Americans in those areas than Spanish and many declared independence from Mexico and Spain. Mexico was the 47th state in 1912 long after the Spanish -American War. The treaty signed is very clear and many men from those territories fought and died for their freedom against Mexico. There was also money paid in the neighborhood of about 20 million. Mexico had no valid claim to those territories since Spain claimed lands from Peru to Canada. As you can tell from the present maps most of these territories were lost when Mexico was formed in 1821 and Spain had it's own problems.

• You lost $20. I live in New Mexico. Born and raised in Albuquerque. New Mexico became a state before Arizona. Our state name is just like New York. I'm sure you don't think that New York is part of England, right? Just because it has the name York in it. The Spanish language is very popular here and majority do speak it, but English is know. There is some people that don't know Spanish and only speak English. Our state is just like any other. We have all ethnicities and nationalities. And maybe a couple of Mexicans 😜

• The main difference is that the democratic republic of Mexico is the form of government that exists in the country of Mexico and the United States is a group of 48 states primarily encompassing the northern part of north America and includes Alaska and Hawaii as well for a total of 50.

• I love this! I am a New Mexican and we get stuff like this all the time!! We do speak English but most of us know how to have at least basic conversations in Spanish cause there are a lot of people here who don't know how to speak English or have never learned. New Mexico really is a cool place. What's cooler than a place people don't think is in America?!

• New Mexico was the 47th state admitted. Lots of languages are spoken in New Mexico including Spanish.

• New Mexico became a US state in 1912, but the name of the territory dates to 1593, when the area officially became a province of New Spain. The name wasn't official down in Mexico until 1824. (231 years later), and for the Sixteenth and Seventeenth centuries "Mexico" was the name of an indian tribe, not a country. New Mexico was part of Mexico only uncomfortably and briefly (from 1836 to 1848). In those days, most Mexicans were campsinos of Indian ancestry--peasants--but most New Mexicans were hidalgos (the lowest Rank of Spanish nobility and of mostly European heritage). Like Illinois, Utah, or North Dakota, New Mexico was named for an Indian tribe, not for a foreign country. We are proud of our vigorous tricultural lifestyle. About a third of us speak English at home, about a third speak a venerable dialect of Spanish (very different from the Spanish spoken in Mexico), and a third of speak an Indian Language at home. Nearly everybody speaks mostly English in public, but it is polite to reply in Spanish if spoken to in that language, and most of us do so. Indian tribal courtesies vary, but most here are not fond of the term "native American" except as a courtesy to immigrants from India.

• Yes, it is a state located in the southwestern United States. It was ceded to the United States following the Mexican-American War. It has a high Hispanic population, and therefore many people do speak Spanish. No, not everyone speaks Spanish; as with the rest of the states, the main language is English.

• This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Is New Mexico a state? ASAP?

Everyone keeps telling me it is, but that doesn't make sense because how could it be part of the USA if it has "Mexico" in it???? I bet $20 so please help? Also does everyone there speak Spanish?