How do I copy .avi files to a DVD?

So I have a combo CD/DVD-RW drive and what I want to do is drag video files from my computer onto a DVD so I can delete them from my hard drive and still have them on a disc. I put a blank DVD into the drive and try to just drag the video file over but then I get an error saying "Windows encountered a problem when trying to copy this file. What do you want Windows to do?". The only options are Retry and Cancel. I tried dragging pictures and Word documents over as well but those did not work either. Then I put a blank CD into the drive and I was able to drag videos, pictures, and Word documents over to it. I assumed it would work the same way with the blank DVD but obviously not. If anyone has a solution, that would be great although I don't want to have to buy any software or use free trials that will eventually force me to buy the software.

Comments

• Windows won't let you burn files to DVD using it's built in writing software, it will only allow burn to CD.

http://www.deepburner.com/download/DeepBurner1.exe

This link is to a program download called deep burn. It's a free CD/DVD writing software. I use it and it does the trick for burning files to DVDs.

• You should have a good CD/DVD burning software program that will let you organize your files first before burning them to disc.

A good open source free cd/dvd burning program is "infraRecorder" Google it if you want the site address.

I would suggest burning a data disc for all files that aren't video files playable on a standard dvd player.

Bear in mind that many dvd burners do or did not have multisession capability, so it's a good idea to have nearly a full (around 4.2 gigs of files in a cache folder so you can burn onto a dvd all at once.) This way, you'll get the full advantage of the storage capacity of the disc and not just a closed disc session partial burn.

• Nero Vision can convert AVI to DVD, but I've had some issues with this program. WinAVI Video Converter does a better job of this task. WinAVI will convert AVI to DVD.

Step 1: Please click the "DVD" button on the main interface , or you can click "menu" button on the main interface, then select "Any to DVD" on the submenu of the " format convert " ,and then the program will pop-up a "Select file" box. Then please choose the AVI file that you want to converter.

Step 2: Output directory: You can click the "Browse" button to select the output directory.

Step 3: Select encoder:You can click it to choose the DVD mode. When it is ready, just click "OK" to start to convert.

Please note: The DIVX codec may be needed to encode some AVI files. Download and install the DIVX codec pack from divx.com.

• Windows XP cannot natively make DVD discs. You need some kind of program such as NERO to burn DVD's. If you are trying to make the .avi file into a DVD player compabible format I recommend using this program.

http://www.vso-software.fr/products/convert_x_to_d...

It is fast, and has never let me down.

good luck!

• You just need a dvd burning software to do that, I always use aimersoft dvd creator to burn and convert avi video to DVD, it's easy to use and works nice for me, you may download it for a try

http://www.top5soft.com/video/aimersoft-dvd-creato...

Hope it helps. If you still have problem, feel free to contact me.