Do I use newspaper for a parakeet poop tray?

Im getting a parkeet soon and I want to know what to use!

Comments

• yes I use it for my parakeet and it works fine,it doesnt cost money and its easy to replace out and it doesnt affect them. But if you want to see its droppings to make sure its healthy and pooping right [like no diarhhia or constipation] then use paper towels that way you can see clearly whats on the bottom.either newspaper or paper towels is fine. But if it get really wet,change it. good luck with your new pet parakeet they are a lot of fun.

• Newspaper is perfect. Just be careful that if your parakeet likes to shred and can reach the paper, not to use paper with colored inks on it, as these can be toxic. Black ink is fine, and if the bird can't reach it it doesn't matter, anyway.

What's good to do is lay down a bunch of sheets, then you can just take off the top layer each day, and you only have to replace the paper once a week or so. (:

• I've used black and white newspaper in my pet bird's cages for the past 15 years. I avoid the colored newspaper because the ink can be toxic to parakeets. The black and white newspaper is very safe. You can also use plain cage liners, but they can get quite expensive. Paper towels can also be used. I would only use them temporarily, because they don't hold up as good as newpaper. Don't use sandpaper to line the cage, or on the perches, either. Sandpaper is very tough on parakeets' delicate feet. It can easily cause irritation and sore feet.

• Here's what to do. Buy a nice thick pack of white computer paper. It is cut to a nice size and is cheap, and it it has like a thousand sheets in it. Just put one or two pieces on the bottom, enough to cover the bottom, then just throw them out when dirty, and slide two more sheets in. It's so much easier than cutting and folding news papers, and buying expensive gravel papers. ...and there's no ugly ink or harmful ink on them either!Just buy a box of parakeet gravel to put a little on the bottom, or in a cup. Parakeets need gravel to digest their food, and can die without it. Good luck!

• hi,i use sandpaper type of paper on the bottom of the tray,after a few days of pooping iwith a scraper i scrape the paper of poop and seeds and put it back in the cage,a friend taught me this it saves me money i dont have to change the sheets as often.

• Yep! It's environmentally-friendly and easy to clean up. All you have to do is remove the tray and dump the newspaper!

• yes.i have a parakeet and i use newspaper and change it everyday.

enjoy your parakeet.

• yes. use the ones that are plain black and white. colored ink is not good if he happens to chew on it

• i've used it but don't like it much , i liked ceder bedding better

• I think you should, I do and it works pretty well.