Do I Really Need a Passport?

I Live in The United States Born and Raised

I Know for a Fact That You Used to Never Have to Posses a Passport to Visit Canada in You a USA Resident But Did That Change ? Do I Need One ?

Is it Only if I Fly in to Canada ? or Even If I Drive to Canada ?

Comments

• Sorry Cody, but if you don't like it, I'd say complain to your government. The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative was implemented under George Bush's presidency, as a direct result of the September 11th attacks.

Canadians and Americans have long been spoiled in that we were able to freely move back and forth between our two countries just by VERBALLY stating our nationality. That all changed in 2001. Now, we are like most other countries in that you must have a valid travel document approved by the US government to get into the country.

While it is true that according to the strict legal requirements on Canada Border Services Agency website, you do not need a passport to enter Canada by LAND or SEA, the problem is really not getting into Canada, but is actually going back home to USA. That's because even US citizens are required to have the proper documents to get back into their country. And if you don't have anything that they will accept, US Customs and Border Protection has the right to detain you for an "extended" interview. That could mean hours stuck at the border while they call family or friends, look up your SSN, check your driver's license, etc.

I would recommend that you just do like everyone else is doing now and get yourself a passport. That way, you can use it if you happen to decide to go for a European vacation, if you happen to win a trip to Australia, or whatever. And be thankful...US passports are actually good for ten years and costs $135. Think of it like $13.50 per year. (Canadian passports are only good for five years and cost $87, or $17.40 per year.)

• your government decided to change things so you now need a passport no matter how you come and go

• Google Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative.

Apparantly US citizens need a ppt to come back into the US now.

• George Bush's administration changed it. You need a passport to fly and a passport or passport card or enhanced driver's licence to drive.

Canada lets you in with the documentation you need to return home as they aren't prepared to keep you.

You can use the passport for any country.

• YES or a passport card, drivers license from certain states look here for the details

http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/eng_map.html

• You Need A Passport To Enter The Us. Even If You Are A Us Citizen.

Also Why Do You Type Like This? This' Is Just As Annoying To Type As It Is To Read.

• You need a passport to go from the US to another country.