How to stop a destructive dog?

We adopted a dog from the local shelter 3 months ago, and she's great, except for one thing. She destroys EVERYTHING. We've had dogs our entire lives and we've never had one like this so we don't know what to do. We got chew deterrent spray but it's not doing anything. She has plenty of toys, including an interactive kong toy filled with treats, but she STILL destroys everything. Our tables and chairs are ruined, as well as three dog beds (hers and the two that belong to our other two dogs). One of my parents is, understandably, getting really really frustrated, while the other one just tries to hide it and pretend it's not happening (not very responsible behaviour for a parent if you ask me). It remains though, that our house, and by extension, our family is getting destroyed by this dog's destructive behaviour. She gets lots of attention and exercise too (though she could stand to get walked more often. I can't do it as i've injured my ankle but my parent's take her.)

What do we do? We've tried distractions and deterrents, but she waits until no one is in the room to destroy, so we have no chance of catching her and telling her off...My Dad wants to banish her to the garage forever because she isn't improving (just getting worse), but even i know that that's not the answer, she'll just fester in her bad habits and it will get worse, but i also know that this is completely unacceptable behaviour that we can't seem to fix, and his idea is starting to look like the only option. Given that we've tried everything we can think of, what else is there? I've suggested crating her when we can't watch her, but my Mom (who is trying to hide all the destruction and lets it happen rather than addressing it) is completely against i, as she thinks it's cruel. I think that while it won't train her to stop destroying, it will at least prevent her from doing it, but she won't hear of it.

What else can we do to stop this destructive behaviour, especially as she only does it when we're not in the same room to watch her (ie: when we're sleeping). We've tried everything we can think of, and it's driving at least two of us crazy.

Comments

• This sounds very frustrating indeed. Well, you may have already tried some of these suggestions but I hope that maybe some of them will be of help:

+++Exercise!: physical activity gives a dog something to do, it burns off calories of energy, as well as stimulates a dog's natural desire to work. I would definitely try and increase the number/length of walks she gets a day as well as increase her playtime outside so that shes not as apt to start destroying things out of frustration if this is the cause.

Chewing outlets: You mentioned that she has lots of toys...I'm not sure if you have already looked into these but, you may want to try providing her with things to chew on like Medi-Chews (also good for dental health), enzymatic chews like CET chews, nylabones, etc... just make sure she is supervised while chewing as these can sometimes be a choking and foreign body hazard.

Positive Reinforcement: some dogs can learn from negative reinforcement but for the most part, I find the positive makes the biggest impact on training. When she is not chewing the furniture and is chewing one of her chew toys, make a big deal of it, pet and praise her, tell her what a good girl she is and possibly give her a treat if shes food driven.

DAP collars: DAP = Dog Appeasing Pheromone and is a pheromone-infused soft plastic collar that your dog may wear at all times and last for 30 days. These collars are made to help dogs with a lot of anxiety, fear, and/or aggression. They must be worn quite snugly as they are body heat activated.

---> more info: http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/behaviortraining/g...

Good luck, and sorry if you've already tried all of this :)

• I am sure many dogs are banished to the garage, a dog house, or dumped when good supervision when you can and crating it when nobody can watch it would have saved it.

Other dogs may not be as bad as the young Labs I am plagued with. Still your house and dog will be much safer with the dog in a crate when you are away. The dog may be happier in its den than loose in the house. It relaxes, it feels safe in its den. It rests, the body slows down reducing the need for water and relieving its self. Dogs that have been crated all along do very well. Many of them will rest in their crates even when the door is open. I think the plastic ones give the dog more of a safe, enclosed den feeling. They are harder for dogs to open too. Metal ones can be put in a corner or covered with something the dog can't pull in and chew. Select a crate just big enough for the full grown dog to stretch out in.

Leave it some toys. Perhaps a Kong filled with peanut butter. Don't leave anything in the crate the dog might chew up. It will do fine without even any bedding. You will come home to a safe dog and a house you can enjoy.

A dog that has not been crated since it was little, make take some work. Start out just putting its toys and treats in the crate. Praise it for going in. If you have been able to trust it with any bedding, put that in the crate. Feed it in the crate. This is also an easy way to maintain order at feeding time for more than one dog.

• Crate train the dog properly and crate it when you and other family members are unable to watch it. Crating a dog isn't cruel. Not only does it help prevent the dog from destroying the home, but it also prevents the dog from eating something that could cause a blockage which could kill the dog and/or cause an expensive vet bill to get it removed. A crate is never used as punishment, it will be the dog's den it's safe place. It should only be placed in the crate when no one is home to watch it. Bring the subject up to your father and get all facts to present to him. He can think it over and then present it to your mother and they can talk about it.

Destructive behavior is mainly caused by pent up energy which means the dog needs more exercise. Take it on an hour long walk in the morning and an hour long walk at night, also include 30 minutes to an hour of high energy activity play time mid-day. This should be done everyday of the week. If you cannot take the dog for the amount I mentioned above, see if another family member can. A different family member should take the dog for a walk each time, that way each person is bonding with the dog.

• Your mom thinks crating is cruel but banishing permanently to the garage isn't?

a crate isn't cruel, I used to feel that way but find my dog spends all day sleeping in it when I work from home, it's her safe place and she loves it. A dog should never be allowed to roam the house unsupervised at night, you aren't there to watch him then he gets crated.

If he's this destructive when you are home, he's not getting enough exercise to satisfy his needs. A walk around the block for 20 minutes will not satisfy this dog and he's showing that he's bored.

Clicker training him working him mentally so he doesn' thave time to destroy items can be done even with you out of commission. Try playing games that work to his individual nature. If he's a hunting breed play hide and go seek, etc. Look into getting the dog into agility training or even obedience training but most definately get a crate.

Chew sprays don't work, use listerine and spray your furniture daily, it's non staining. Also having plenty of toys does not mean the dog will be entertained, my dog has 100 toys and plays with only a select few for a few minutes at a time then bored. Rotate toys, remove others, play games with him and most of all give him no less than 2 hours of strenuous exercise a day. I recommend buying a walky dog system from the Dog Outdoors.com and biking several miles with him in tow, this way he will be exhuasted and will chew less.

Chewing is usually a symptom of a bigger problem.

• I would recommend using a clicker ( You can buy on or download it on your smart phone) and when you puppy comes to the furniture and bites it you say "off" or "stop" and block it's way and click the clicker and give the dog a praise or a treat. Try this again for a week and gradually stop treating and after a month stop using a clicker and just use the command.

If this does not work, use bitter apple spray (safe for animals) or Dog anti chew sprays on the furniture. Also if your dog is a counter biter try a scat mat on the edges.

• Bad habits are hard to break, take the dog to an obedience trainer, give it exercise until it is tired several times a day if necessary. Provide replacements, rawhide. Crating a dog is important when they are not in human company. Do not let the dog roam free in the house.

• Honestly? go talk with your father about the crating situation. Its a better solution than the garage. If anyone is going to get your mother to bend on the issue its more than likely going to be him vs you. also see if there are any dog sport clubs/training in your area. find something for her to do/increase the amount of exercise and see if that helps.

• Learning how to train your dog will improve your life and hers, enhance the bond between you, and ensure her safety and it can be a lot of fun. Dogs are usually eager to learn, and the key to success is good communication. Your dog needs to understand how you’d like her to behave and why it’s in her best interest to comply with your wishes. Check here to learn how to train your dog properly https://tr.im/fba88

• all dogs need training, exercise, socialization, grooming and vet care

crate when you can't supervise

talk/take to professional