Real poem writing contest sites?

Like a website where you actually have won? Some sites i dont think even choose winners so anyone know one thats legit?

Comments

• I don't know about contest sites but there are always contests listed in Poets and Writers Magazine that you can enter but I think an even better way to sharpen your skills is to find or create a critique group that looks at or listens to each others work either on-line or (preferably) in person and talks about what works and what doesn't. There may be a writer's workshop or critique group where you live or you may find or create one on-line. To find one ( if it's there) ask at your library or book store. If there is an open-mike poetry night at a bookstore or coffeeshop in your area, the poets there might be a good starting resource. I would also suggest my favorite book on writing poetry, The Poetry Home Repair Manual by Ted Kooser, a former Poet Laureate of the US and one of my favorite writers both of poetry and about it. You can post here and sometimes get some help although I'm afraid most of the response is of the "I like it" or "I don't like it" variety. I try to do some in depth critique when I catch a poem here. If you post one, I'll respond if I see it. Even when you find someone or a group or a contest, it's as my signature line says when I do critique. Remember, all critique is opinion... That means, in the final analysis, you have to decide based on everything you can learn from reading other poets, and reading about writing. Critique can, and should, give you things to think about but it's your poem. Good luck and keep writing!