Do aftermarket radios mess up cars?

I have a 2009 Chevy cobalt LT 4 door. Today, I purchased an aftermarket stereo for it, and when I began driving it, I realized that the chimes or sounds the car made do not work anymore. The clicking of the turn signal and the sound when the driver's door is open are not there. I know this is minor, but should it have messed up? We called the place we bought it from, and they said that it was suppose to do that...I really don't think so. They did use a $150 wire harness to hook up the radio. Any help? I really just want my car to function properly. Thanks! :)

Comments

• No, they should not be messing with one another UNLESS they are not properly installed. Even then its doubtful. $150 wiring harness? They are bout' $15 at walmart. lol

• It's surprising how many people answer without having any real idea what they're talking about.

In your Cobalt, the factory radio generates all the audible features that you're currently missing. The door chimes, the turn signal clicks, all play through the speakers. It's the same with just about all new GM vehicles.

When you remove the factory radio, it's normal to lose those features. However, the expensive adapter harness you purchased is supposed to get them working again. That's why the harness is so expensive: it can communicate with the vehicle's data bus system and generate these audible prompts. If you're not hearing the chimes and clicks any more, then something's wrong with the adapter.

Depending on the design of the harness, the chimes might be coming from behind the dash now, instead of the speakers. Sometimes there's a volume adjustment that allows the installer to make the chimes louder or softer. It's possible that it's just turned down too low for you to hear it from the new location.

In any case, I'd go back to the shop. The whole purpose of the $150 adapter is to keep the factory features working; if it's not doing that, then you've wasted your money.

In my sources, I'll link a couple of adapter harnesses made for your vehicle. Both product descriptions say that they'll retain the factory warning chimes.

• KAEZOO is correct , don't believe any other post before , Yes aftermarket radios will create some small problems if not install correctly, in your case you have serious problems and you need to go back asap If they can't fix your vehicle to what it was before ask for your money back and force them to put the original radio back,

there is a good change that your car is going to visit the dealer in a town truck if this is not solve soon

databus GM radio ?

The 11 BIT GM LAN system is a Serial Data Link used by GM in its vehicles, and is based on the SAE J1850 protocol, which is widely used in the U.S. It is through this data link that the body control module (or BCM) receives information and commands that are essential in determining its mode of operation.The BCM is connected, through GM LAN, to the instrument panel cluster (IPC), the powertrain control module (PCM), the data link connector (DLC) and the radio. Recently GM has now included the driver’s door module, passenger’s door module, rear seat audio controller, vehicle communication interface module or OnStar®, steering wheel audio controls, rear seat entertainment (RSE), CD changer, radio, DVD/Video, amplifier and XM radio as part of GM LAN. Since these new modules are part of the audio system and security system, you are now hearing more about Class II and GM LAN . Connected to this same data wire is the Body Control Module (BCM), Powertrain Control Module (PCM), Transfer Case Shift Control Module, Heater & A/C controls (HVAC), Inflatable Restraint Sensing and Diagnostic Module, Theft Deterrent Control Module, Memory Seat Module, Drivers Information Center (DIC), Key Lights Seatbelt Chimes (most vehicles), Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC), Suspension Control Module, Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM) and other modules.

Affects of removing Class 2 and GM LAN radios from your vehicle 2000 and up

( Most Cavaliers, Sunfires and other base models do not offer most, if any of these features.

Check the vehicle owner’s manual to see available features. )

Displays current settings

Oil life monitor reset

Tire inflation monitor reset

Delayed headlamp illumination

Automatic door lock and unlock

Remote visual/audible verification of remote lock/unlock

Enable/Disable content theft

Enable/Disable trunk lock shock sensor

Short or long horn with remote lock/unlock

Key fob transmitter programming

The radio is used as a control panel to communicate with the vehicles computer for the customization of certain “convenience features”. All features work and remain at current settings with the factory radio removed, but can only be customized and/or reset by an authorized service center. More important than the above features and chime, there is no switched 12 volt. power supplied in the radios plug, so it will need to be sourced somewhere else such as the factory fuse panel. A 10A to 30A fused accessory power source is recommended. Depending on the vehicle there are several choices in the factory fuse panel, such as the sunroof or windshield wipers.

• All places you have install for you will try to get every penny out of you.

Charging at least 60$ for a 20 minute job.

It won't cause problem unless the installer isn't a professional...

If he uses electrical tape to make connections, that's all bad.

If they leave loose wires hanging without concealing the metal conductor part of the wire, that's all bad.

If they don't hook your freaking steering wheel wires up so that doesn't work, that's a *****!

• Customized Chevy Cobalt

• The radio should not not mess with the support systems, poor installation can.

$150 for a sound cable is next to extortion.

• Iv had this problem, but it didn't worry me so left it, but it was the wiring behind the headunit causing problems

• try youtube, it would give you a good idea on where to start. and then use your manual (with the wiring diagram) to locate what wires goes to power, ground, accessories, and to the speakers.