2002 Mercedes C240 problems?

My 2002 C240 is @ 56000 miles and already having problems. First, I notice that when the car comes to a stop, the engine idles really low like it's going to choke and when I gas it, the car chokes and doesn't go anywhere, then suddenly catches on and goes normally. Second, my digital display console dims out when the weather gets hot. Third, the gas meter suddenly does not work anymore. Anyone experience these problems?

Comments

• Is your check engine light on? Of course make sure you use full synthetic oil only Mobil 1 10 w 30. If your engine light is not on there are big problems w/ the wiring harness on all C-class Mercedes - poor design. Over time the wires become extremely brittle. All far as I know no recall has been made on the harness. Call your local dealer - have them run your VIN # they can pull up any recalls on your vehicle. The wiring harness & of course evaporator cores leaking are the 2 most common problems. Good Luck!

• 2002 Mercedes C240

• 02 Mercedes C240

• This is par for the course for recent Mercedes. The idle problem is almost certainly an air mass sensor or O2 sensor going bad. The dashboard problems may be cause by a faulty connector somewhere. Or it could all be caused by a bad alternator. Unfortunately, the only one who's likely to find the answers is the dealer.

• I suggest you trade it in on a Toyota/Lexus. I'm serious. The current C class has been ranked 127th out of 137 by the BBC-TV car program "Top Gear". Dog and Lemon 2006 guide says the reliability is "appalling". They are nearly as bad as the M or ML class.

In your case you could have a problem with the air flow sensor, which might be resolved by a simple clean with carb. cleaner. The digital display problem sounds like an earthing fault, which might also explain the problem with the gas meter. Get an electrical system check too as already suggested.

• Since 1991 thru 2004,they were building bad cars.The Chrysler move made them learn bad American habits.Selling cars that barely make it thru warranty.

The Internet has a Mercedes Lemon website that may help you.

• Bring your car to the dealer and let them check on the alternator and fuel pump. I'm guessing either one of these went bad. Good luck.

• Take it to the dealer. I believe there is a wiring harness recall an this.

• My mom had this problem. use the highest octane gas all the time!!!!!!!!! or the engine will knock period and many problems with the AC.

• I wish to ask the same question as the person above.