How do I transfer a gun into my name?

My friend is giving me a gun as a gift and I was wondering how to switch it into my name. I live in Louisiana.

Comments

• Could you not wait 9 minutes so you had to post it again?

• Nothing is legally required in Louisiana as long as you are both legal residents of the state. There is no federal registration and no Louisiana registration. However, it would not be unwise for you two to sign and date a document of the transaction, which included your names and address, the gun model and serial number, and the nature of the transaction. Some people might have this notarized, but I never do.

• There is no "gun registration". You do not need to give anyone your name.

Unless it is a full automatic machine gun of some type then you are good to go.

• There is no law in LA that says you have to, since there is NO GUN REGISTRATION . If you want, just get something in writing from your friend stating that he is giving you the gun, and have him sign it. This is your proof of ownership, if you want it. It is NOT required.

• If it's anything like VA, then basically if the weapon is traced, it would be traced to some dealer, and that dealer would say, "Oh we sold that gun to so-so."

• Once they say it is yours, it is "in your name".

• Just bring it down to a local gun shop. They can do that for you.