Is it disrespectful to pass a funeral car?

Ok im, relatively young and a hurst was pulled over at the side of the road at a church. Poeple were stopped and I didn't realise, I thought they were perhaps pulled over because they were attending but I'm not sure now. (this is in the UK) I've never heard that it is disrespectful but a friend just told me it was and I feel awful. Can anyone let me know

Comments

• Traditionally it is dis-respectful to pass a hearse, however, thesedays just passing it is the least of mourning families concerns. I've seen people blasting the horn at them, cutting in front of them at roundabouts and having music blaring out their cars as they fly by.

• Pulled over at the side of the road at the church and not moving than why would you or others stop?

If they were pulling out together as a procession yes it would be respectful to stop and allow them to go. People are always cautious and don't know what to do so maybe that is what happened in your case. Maybe someone in the funeral group was stopped waiting to figure out him/herself whether they were ready to start the procession.

Everybody including people in the procession are nervous about making a mistake or being disrespectful, so don't feel bad.

Usually police are used to move large processions through the traffic and that is easier to figure out and most cars have a funeral sign sticking out the front hood (but not all so that too can be tricky).

People in grief appreciate respectful gestures, they are saying a final goodbye and so it comforts them when others verify their grief with small gestures like waiting for the procession to pass etc.....good question I didn't know you could get a ticket for it in some places.

• I never knew that and i'm in the uk aswell!

If there are a line of cars following a funeral car being driven on a road, then I let them pass so they can stay together. For example, give way to them on a roundabout etc... But you said they had all stopped at the side of a road, so unless i'm not understanding the situation properly I don't see how passing them is disrespectful, because they had stopped!

• Hurst Funeral Car

• They are correct. You should never pass a funeral procession - that is the hearst leads the way and the funeral attendees follow behind on the way to the cemetary. It is very disrespectful. Don't feel too bad - you didn't know any better! You'll know for next time!

• please dont feel awful, you didnt know what to do, so how were you to know? im from the uk as well and i was brought up to..... when driving in a car, remain behind a hearse and all the cars behind it, and if you meet one coming the other way, you stop and turn the engine of your car off till it drives past you, if you are walking and you meet one coming towards you, stop and wait till it passes, if you are walking in the same direction, stay behind it. unless they are carrying the coffin, then it would normally be a slow walking pace. personally if i seen a hearse at a church and the remains hadnt been taken inside yet, then i would wait untill they had, but if the church is in off the road, then i would walk on, its all personal preference. again please dont worry x

• We all learn every day. I don't think it was terribly disrespectful. I alwsys try to show a bit of respect when I see a hearse, by bowing my head, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. Very few people pay as much concern to these traditions as they used to.

I do think it is disrespectful to overtake a hearse, though!

• It is usual for people to stand still when a Hearse passes by. In respect of the person who has died and their grieving family.Men will take of their hats if they wear one.

Don't worry, you know now what you should do next time a Hearse passes you by.

• No, you aren't supposed to walk in front of a funeral procession. But most now are a hearse and one limo and everyone else uses their own cars. So put your foot down if it's crawling along. The person in the back won't mind.

• Yes, tradition and respect say pull to the right for a funeral - at least in the US