How to buy a speaker system?

Hello, I recently bought a LCD Tv and a DVD player. I want to buy a speaker system so that I complete the package. But I have no idea of where to start. I don't want to buy Home theater in a box. What I want is independent speakers. Can anyone tell me where to start. I can go up to max $350. Do I need an amplifier?

Update:

Thank you all for the feedback. What do you thing about this site Frys.com. I am seeing great deals on the site for Polk Audio speaker.s

http://www.frys.com/product/4965501

http://www.frys.com/product/4005092

I am not sure if I can believe this site. Any feedbacks?

Thanks

Comments

• if you want to get a speaker system that's not one that comes all in a box i would recommend getting a Sony receiver which runs about $200 and a set of speakers around $150... to be honest, if you are only looking to spend $350 you might be better off getting one in a box already. Anything else for that price will sound pretty bad, not to mention that you will need to buy a surge protector and of course speaker wires... so if you want to piece it all together you will be looking at spending about $500 minimum. i would save up for some Klipsch speakers and Sub woofer and a strong Yamaha receiver.... roughly $1500, but worth it

• Your DVD player or CATV box only produce "line-level" signals. These are not strong enough to drive speakers. Yes, you need an amplifier.

Then you need 5 speakers and a self-powered subwoofer.

In my opinion, you have 2 choices:

- Hit your local CraigsList and find someone selling receiver & speakers for about $350.

- Look into a 5.1 computer speaker system by Logitech. They have some THX rated, self-powered speakers that only have 1 input - but it will work for that DVD player.

• you dont want a nice lcd tv and a dvd player, and then ruin it because you have 350.00 for speakers . yes you need an amplifier and with 350.00 you wont have good choices in that price range for individual speakers and amp.. your best bet is a home theatre system...like yamaha, onkyo,polk etc. honestly better bang for the buck. now if money is not an issue, then go individually with pieces. more money but quality is better...hope i helped

• Frys is a retail chain store nationwide, so their reputation is on the line . Since it is on-line only sale , you cannot audition the speaker. I would assume that these speakers are obsolete and no longer manufactured.

Polk is a good speaker manufacturer , so they are probably good speakers.

And yes you will need an amplifier to power these speakers.

• at walmart you can buy an altec lansing three peice set with a sub for $50