Combining two popular adages..................?

1)............If a cat falls, it will always land feet first

2)........... A dropped slice of buttered toast will always land butter side down

My Q:....If you strap a slice of toast (butter side down) to the back of a cat, then raise the assemblage to say 2 metres and drop it, which way up will it land?

Comments

• Well..... the bread should land butter side down and the cat should land feet first (Unless it's dead of course) What will happen is it will drop like a stone by just over a metre then it will suddenly stop and hover just above the ground spinning like ...err... spinning like a spinning thing. There it will stay forever, spinning.

If you were to fix a magnet to the cats collar and push a big coil of wire around the cat then you could create free electricity and never have to pay for lighting or heating again. Now if you were to fill your room full of spinning cats with buttered bread on their backs then you could power your whole street and make a fortune supplying this electricity by undercutting the big boys.

Or.... the cat would land on it's feet, run off desperately trying to remove the buttered bread from it's back and it may never like you again.....

Difficult choosing between the two methinks... ;o)

Graham

• What a good question indeed. I feel that this is all to do with gravity and weight of both objects. I think the answer would have to be that the cat will land on its feet as it is heavier than the toast.

However, there is another possibility: If you dont strap the toast too tightly to the cat, the cat may try and turn its head to eat the toast. This would create a slight imbalance in its centre of gravity which in turn may rotate the cat leaving them to fall toast-side down. So really I think your answer depends on how tightly your strap the toast down!

Hope that helps...

• The cat will still land on its feet because the toast is strapped to his back.

• the cat will land on it's feet

the buttered bread is already "down on the floor"

with the butter--as it always is--facing the floor

the back of the cat, in this case,

serves as the floor upon which the buttered bread landed

• Marlene Asmerelda, Marlene Barbara, Marlene Cordelia, Marlene Desdemona, Marlene Fawna, Marlene Gwen, Marlene Helen, Marlene Ivanna, Marlene Jessica, Marlene Karoline, Marlene Louise, Marlene Martina, Marlene Natalie, Marlene Paris, Marlene Rina, Marlene Queen, Marlene Rachael, Marlene Selena, and Marlene Tracey. Janine Abbigail, Janine Britney, Janine Clotilda, Janine Diana, Janine Eleanor, Janine Fiona, Janine Gallerina, Janine Hilary, Janine Isabella, Janine Julianna, Janine Kathy, Janine Lazena, Janine Maggie, Janine Noella, Janine Opal, Janine Polina, Janine Rosa, Janine Sasha, and Janine Tara.

• are you in therapy... the cat will land on its feet, the toast will fall of midair, and the cat will eat it.

• Heard this at work last week...... My co-worker asked if he could borrow my cat and a tub of butter.......

• YAWN... this question comes up at least once a week.

• Are you bored with your life? Apparently...

• on its side just like the coin flip.....